Fethullah Gulen says will return to Turkey if US backs extradition


Date posted: September 23, 2016

Berlin: US-based preacher Fethullah Gulen is ready to return to Turkey if Washington approves Ankara’s request for his extradition over the failed July coup, he told German broadcaster ZDF on Friday.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has accused Gulen of ordering the failed putsch and Ankara wants Washington to arrest the Islamic cleric and deliver him to Turkish authorities.

“If the United States says yes, then I will go, it’s not a problem. Then I will spend the rest of my days tormented (by the government) and so I will reach God as a pure man,” Gulen said.

The preacher, who lives in self-imposed exile in Pennsylvania, has denied any involvement in the putsch.

Calling for an international probe into the accusation, Gulen told ZDF that he would be ready to answer to such an investigation.

“An international organisation should investigate the case. If their accusations stand, then I will accept what they want. But they have neither succeeded in showing any concrete proof nor given an answer to my suggestion. Therefore, these are all just mere assertions,” he said.

The preacher accused Ankara of using the putsch as an excuse to crack down on followers of his Hizmet movement, which runs a network of private schools, businesses and media outlets.

“It was all planned in advance. They needed a serious excuse. If there is such an excuse then the case would be accepted by the international community, or so that’s what they thought,” said Gulen.

Ankara has on several occasions asked the US authorities to extradite Gulen, sending them documents which allegedly show evidence of his involvement in the putsch.

Early last month, an Istanbul court issued a formal arrest warrant for Gulen, who has denied any involvement in the botched coup.

When US Vice President Joe Biden visited Ankara several weeks later, he said he understood the “intense feeling” in Turkey over Gulen but added that the extradition request can only be approved if legal provisions are met.

Ankara launched sweeping raids in the wake of the coup, arresting and firing tens of thousands of public servants including soldiers, police officers and teachers.

Over 20,000 people are still believed to be held under arrest in the wake of the July 15 coup in a crackdown that has caused international controversy.

Source: Deccan Chronicle , September 23, 2016


Related News

Gülen book finds wide readership in northern Iraq

A book written by Kurdish journalist Rebwar Karim on Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen’s approach to the Kurdish question has been attracting a significant amount of attention in northern Iraq.

Pro-gov’t daily proudly announces Gulenists put in ‘concentration camp’

Gulenists under custody as part of an investigation into Turkey’s July 15 coup attempt are kept in a “concentration camp” near Kayseri province, pro-gov’t Turkish news portal Kayseri Haber reported on Aug 13.

Mr. Fethullah Gülen’s interview for Moskovskiy Komsomolets newspaper

In the interview that was published at one of Russia’s most popular newspapers, Moskovskiy Komsomolets, Mr. Gülen talked about the aircraft crisis between Russia and Turkey, the divided state of the Muslim world, secularism, the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) and terrorism. “Certain things done [the Turkish government] in recent years were wrong. The downing of that warplane was wrong,” he said.

Gülen: Democracy dealt yet another blow in Egypt

Well-respected Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has said democracy was once again dealt a blow in Egypt as he commented on the ouster of Mohammed Morsi in a military coup last week. Gülen also warned that some circles would be making plans to see what happened in Egypt happen in other countries too.

Fethullah Gülen lawsuit [in the US] thrown out in setback for Turkey’s Erdoğan

A US judge has dismissed a human rights lawsuit against Fethullah Gülen, a US-based Turkish cleric who is a former ally turned prominent critic of his home country’s president, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan. The lawsuit, funded by Turkey, had claimed the Muslim cleric in Pennsylvania orchestrated human rights abuses in his native Turkey.

The follower of Hizmet

In this video an anonymous follower, who is a teacher, of the Gulen Movement expresses her personal view points on its current affairs.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Professor Wagner: With Gülen, the key is love

US law professor has no doubt Gulen trial in Turkey was political

Abant Platform: perspectives on Turkey

Cabinet ruling against non-profit charity Kimse Yok Mu condemned

Australian NGOs support Gülen against PM Erdoğan’s insults

Turkic American Alliance calls on Davutoğlu to prove letter of complaint claims

Fethullah Gulen and Gulen Movement discussed in New York

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor