No country is safe for Gülen sympathizers, Erdoğan says


Date posted: September 20, 2016

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan on Monday threatened followers of the faith-based Gülen movement living all over the world, saying that no country is safe for them.

“No country, no region anywhere in the world, is a safe haven for FETÖ [an acronym the government has been using to refer to the Gülen movement] and militants,” said Erdoğan during a press conference at İstanbul Atatürk Airport, before flying to New York for the UN General Assembly.

Erdoğan said he would use his speech to the UN General Assembly as an opportunity to talk about the role of the Gülen movement in the July 15 failed coup attempt in Turkey.

“We will continue to warn our friends. We will continue to enter the lairs of this organization.”

Last month, pro-government media outlets threatened critical journalists who worked for media sympathetic to Gülen movement and are now in exile.

Turkey’s National Intelligence Organization (MİT) has been tasked with locating, arresting and even killing military officers who fled Turkey after allegedly taking part in a failed coup attempt last month, according a story in the Vatan daily on Aug. 30.

The Justice and Development Party (AKP) government, which launched a war against the Gülen movement following the eruption of a corruption scandal in late 2013 in which senior government members were implicated, carried its ongoing crackdown on the movement and its sympathizers to a new level after a failed coup attempt on July 15 that killed 240 people and injured a thousand others.

Although the movement strongly denies having any role in the corruption probe or coup attempt, the government accuses it of having masterminded both despite the lack of any tangible evidence.

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, whose views inspire the movement and who lives in self-imposed exile in the US, called for an international investigation into the coup attempt, but Erdoğan — calling the putsch “a gift from God” — and the government launched a widespread purge aimed at cleansing sympathizers of the movement from within state institutions, dehumanizing its popular figures and putting them in custody.

The government also accuses the movement of being a terrorist organization.

A report published by the German Focus magazine in July claimed that Turkish government members decided to pin the blame for the coup attempt on Gülen half an hour after the uprising and agreed to begin a purge of Gülen followers the next day.

The German magazine wrote its report based on interceptions of phone calls by English intelligence, emails and SMS messages of members of the Turkish government.

The Turkish government has already purged over 100,00 people, detained 43,000 and arrested 24,000 over alleged ties to the movement. Among the arrestees are journalists, judges, prosecutors, academics, doctors, teachers, nurses and even a comedian.

The official opening of the UN General Assembly will take place on Sept. 20 under the theme “The Sustainable Development Goals: A Universal Push to Transform our World.” Erdoğan will attend the meeting on the occasion of the first anniversary of the approval of the goals and the Development Agenda for 2030.

He will later attend the opening of the General Assembly and will then address world leaders from the UN podium on Sept. 20. Erdoğan is expected to urge world leaders on the need to adopt a common stand against terrorism. Ongoing turmoil in Syria and Turkey’s recent offensive into northern Syria to defeat the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) will also be on his agenda.

Source: Turkish Minute , September 19, 2016


Related News

EP kills parallel state lies

Nobody believes that the mass culling and reassignment of up to 10,000 public officials (most from the police department and the judiciary and many of whom are mid-level and senior personnel) so far by embattled Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has anything to do with what the government purports is a fight against a “parallel structure,” a veiled reference to members of the Hizmet movement inspired by Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

Erdoğan’s stance on Turkish Schools turns to hatred after corruption probes

The discourse that President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan displays towards internationally-located Turkish schools — which are run by Turkish entrepreneurs inspired by the teachings of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen — shifted completely towards a hateful stance after corruption investigations went public in December 2013 incriminated Erdoğan, his family members and close associates.

Samanyolu permission to shoot Ramadan program in mosque

Requests submitted by the Samanyolu Group seeking permission for two of its stations to shoot programs in the gardens of two mosques in the Üsküdar district of Istanbul during the holy month of Ramadan have been turned down by the İstanbul Mufti’s Office.

Gov’t media maintain attack on Bank Asya

Turkish daily Yeni Akit, with close links to President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, reported on Sunday that Bank Asya extended loans to certain Turkish-owned companies abroad and failed to collect these loan debts.

As Gulen movement contracts in Africa, worry over who will fill the vacuum

Abdallah Kheri, who in Kenya heads the Islamic Research and Education Trust, worries that shuttering Gulen schools and other institutions could leave a vacuum that the so-called Islamic State will seek to fill. “Closing down the institutions would definitely grant gains to the fundamentalists,” he said. In Kenya, the Rev. Wilybard Lagho, Mombasa Roman Catholic diocese vicar general, said he would lament the demise of Gulen schools.

An instructive crisis

The links revealed between the National Intelligence Organization (MİT) and the Kurdish Communities Union (KCK), which have been maintained by MİT to embrace Kurdish politics and blur the line between legal and illegal activities, were not surprising to anybody because, in terms of its personnel, MİT is still a military organization. ETYEN MAHÇUPYAN, Thursday February […]

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Financial Times publishes Fethullah Gulen’s Op-Ed

AK Party-Hizmet clash a blessing for world Muslims

Thousands congregate in New York to share iftar joy

Fethullah Gulen talks to major international media on Turkey coup attempt

Renewed attempt to target firm close to Hizmet exposed

Turkey’s Ankara Mayor Gökçek Hints ‘Genocide’ For Followers Of Gülen Movement

Bangladeshi professor published his second book on Fethullah Gulen

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor