Slain prosecutor’s daughter: My father was not with Gülen movement


Date posted: September 19, 2016

The daughter of former Bursa public prosecutor Seyfettin Yiğit, who allegedly committed suicide in a prison bathroom on Friday morning after he was put behind bars over Gülen movement ties, said on Saturday that her father was not affiliated with the Gülen movement but was with the Süleymancı movement, an Islamic movement in Turkey founded by Turkish Islamic scholar Süleyman Hilmi Tunahan in the early 20th century.

Speaking during a funeral service for her father in Bursa on Saturday, Ayça Yiğit told reporters that her father was for his entire life an opponent of the Gülen movement and that she doesn’t think he committed suicide in prison.

“We met with him on the occasion of the Eid al-Adha holiday. He was fine. He said he wrote some letters to us sent on various dates. They were not suicide letters. He even wrote [a letter] to President [Erdoğan]. We have not yet received them,” she said.

Forty-seven-year-old Yiğit had conducted an important phase of the now-famous Dec. 17, 2013 corruption investigation that implicated then-Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s family. He was in charge of the Housing Development Administration of Turkey (TOKİ) involvement in the corruption and after an evaluation of the documents, the TOKİ case was merged with the larger corruption investigation.

“He was not a Fethullahçı [member of the Gülen movement], he was a Süleymancı. This is not a suicide but a murder. He is not the kind of person to commit suicide,” she added.

An investigation has been launched into the incident amid a Human Rights Watch report on the existence of torture in Turkish prisons following the failed coup on July 15.

A teacher of 25 years, Mustafa Güneyler, who was fired from his post over alleged links to the Gülen movement, also committed suicide last month.

Turkey survived a military coup attempt on July 15 that killed over 240 people and wounded more than a thousand others. Immediately after the putsch, the Justice and Development Party (AKP) government along with President Erdoğan pinned the blame on the Gülen movement.

Despite Gülen and the movement having denied the accusation and calling for an international investigation, Erdoğan — calling the coup attempt “a gift from God” — and the government launched a widespread purge aimed at cleansing sympathizers of the movement from within state institutions, dehumanizing its popular figures and putting them in custody.

More than 100,000 people have been purged from state bodies, nearly 43,000 detained and 23,500 arrested since the coup attempt. Arrestees include journalists, judges, prosecutors, police and military officers, academics, governors and even a comedian.

Source: Turkish Minute , September 18, 2016


Related News

Hizmet movement and the AK Party

Nazli Ilicak The Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV) has responded to a series of claims about and slanderous accusations against the Hizmet movement. Currently there is a lot of insulting talk on social media and in some media circles about the movement. Some columnists who support the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) claim that members of […]

Terrorist PKK targets Gulen movement’s schools in Hakkari

Schools opened by the Gülen movement, inspired by internationally respected Turkish scholar Fethullah Gülen, in the eastern province of Hakkari are often threatened by the terrorist Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK), according to an interview by the T24 news portal. The first private school the Gülen movement in Hakkari was opened in 2007. There are currently 300 students at the school, Hatice Avcı College.

Cihan TV network celebrates 10th birthday

AYTEN ÇIFTÇI / MEHMET TAYANÇ / KORAY TEKIN, İSTANBUL The Cihan TV network, which encompasses 94 local and regional television broadcasters, marked the 10th anniversary of its establishment on Thursday night. Members of the network, established in 2003 to strength local media, benefit from accurate, fast and trustworthy news sources for free. A reception was […]

Visually impaired journalist sent to prison over Gülen links

Visually impaired Turkish journalist Cüneyt Arat was sent to prison late on Monday due to his alleged links to the Gülen movement. When Arat learned that a prison sentence approved by an upper court on Sunday, he turned himself in to the police later the same day.

Turkish gov’t planning slaughter of jailed Gülen followers in staged riot, lawyer claims

The Turkish government is headed for mass killings of people jailed over alleged or real links to the Gülen movement, in a staged riot in Silivri prison, a lawyer representing a former police chief imprisoned as part of a crackdown against the movement claimed, underlining that he is worried about the lives of his clients.

A Personal Story from Turkey: I am a “Man of Law” Not a Terrorist!

I am a lawyer, I am man of law but according to President Erdogan I am a “terrorist” who attempted for a coup! I am writing this letter from a city in Eastern Europe as I had to run away from persecution. Just after my departure on 22 July, Turkish police arrived at my house but could not find me. Instead, with the intention to bring me out they have decided to detain my mother who is 86 years old and can barely walk.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Council of Europe warns against hate speech by senior state officials in Turkey

Gülen’s lawyer likens hate campaign against his client to Nazi era

Gulen Charter Schools: Ignorance and Lies Beyond Reality

Syracuse celebrates Turkish culture, cuisine at City Hall event

Dialogue and distrust: on the predicament of Gulen-inspired organisations in the UK

Kurdish intellectuals denounce attack on Şırnak educational institution

Eid-al-Adha – Neighborhood Generosity

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor