Amnesty International researcher criticizes witch-hunt in Turkey


Date posted: September 17, 2016

Amnesty International’s Turkey researcher has leveled sharp criticism against Turkey over ongoing purges that have followed a failed coup attempt in July and said arrests and firings over alleged links to the Gülen movement have now turned into a wide-ranging witch-hunt.

Andrew Gardner gave an interview to Voice of America Türkiye, published on Friday, and offered a bleak assessment of developments in Turkey. While he said immediate detentions and investigations into plotters were quite understandable following the attempted coup on July 15 and acknowledged that could happen in any country, he expressed deep concern that the government has primarily cracked down on dissent and Gülen sympathizers in the witch-hunt.

Gardner underlined that there is no concrete, substantive evidence that links those who have been dismissed, detained or arrested since July 15 to the coup attempt. The government has failed to provide any evidence despite the fact that it has launched massive crackdowns.

He said arrest and detentions, which are based on no evidence, are bound to inflict damage to the notions of rule of law and freedom of expression.

Almost one-fourth of members of the judiciary have been dismissed, detained or jailed pending trial, he said, adding that operations which target the judiciary will in the long term negatively affect judicial independence and the rule of law.

About a government decision to appoint administrators to 28 Kurdish-run municipalities, Gardner said it was not the first time such a thing has happened, recalling the government takeover of the Zaman newspaper by appointing trustees.

Gardner said Amnesty International is concerned about such practices. The appointment of trustees can only take place after a court ruling, he said, noting that the appointment of administrators without such a ruling is a source of deep concern. 

Source: Turkish Minute , September 17, 2016


Related News

Cold Turkey: Erdogan’s withdrawal from democracy

The bizarre, phantom-like failed coup d’etat staged against Erdoğan’s increasingly brutal regime on July 15 last year saw him seize the opportunity to exterminate, imprison and purge tens of thousands of his enemies, real and imagined, within all strata of civil society, the military, government, media, education, health, the judiciary and other institutions.

EU and Turkey’s rights abuse

How did Turkey plunge into this mess of freedom suffocation, and what has really gone wrong with the once-admired President Erdogan ? While I keep pondering on these questions, I believe it is not too late for the Turkish government to retrace its steps and embrace full democratic norms.

Turkish newspaper ‘Zaman’ shuts down in Germany amid ‘threats’

The Turkish-language newspaper “Zaman” will stop operations in Germany after “threats” to readers, a staff member has said. The Turkish government took over the paper in Turkey itself in March. “Our subscribers are being visited; they are being threatened that if they continue to subscribe, they will have problems,” Bag said. He added that the current situation in Turkey, where the government is carrying out a wide-ranging media purge, was spilling over into Germany.

455 water wells opened in Pakistan thanks to Kimse Yok Mu

Kimse Yok Mu which operates in many parts of the world with humanitarian aid projects launched a project in 2012 for 1, 3 million people in some cities of Pakistan. Large numbers of philanthropists from Turkey participated in the campaign and 455 water wells were dug in the country in two years.

Tip of the iceberg

BERİL DEDEOĞLU A significant allegation is circulating. Some people claim that the government wants to close prep schools because of a secret deal with the Kurds. They probably suggest that the Kurds are against the education institutions established by those close to Fethullah Gülen’s thinking, and they want to replace these prep schools with Kurdish […]

Unlawful acts revealed in police raids on Gülen-inspired schools

Another illegal practice was revealed on Wednesday regarding police raids on schools inspired by the faith-based Gülen movement, popularly known as the Hizmet movement, on Sept. 21, as officers refused to give a copy of the police report of seized items to school authorities despite demands by the institution’s lawyers.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Turkey wants India to crack down on ‘Gulen’ schools

Alevi demands remain unfulfilled as their disappointment grows

Rumi Forum Pakistan for fostering intercultural dialogue

Who put those 4.5 million dollars there?

Kimse Yok Mu enables African girls to go to school

Bangladeshi scholar publishes book on Gülen

Abduction and torture part of war on Gulenists: Report

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor