‘We are a Kurdistan company,’ says Kurdish Gulen school official


Date posted: August 9, 2016

ERBIL, Kurdistan Region – Schools and educational centres in the Kurdistan Region associated with the Gulen movement have insisted they are a private company operating under the Kurdish Ministry of Education and have no ties to Turkey.

“In short, we are a Kurdistan company,” an official at the schools told Rudaw, speaking anonymously. “Our institutions operate under the directives and regulations of the Kurdistan Ministry of Education.”

The schools have come under the spotlight after reports emerged that Ankara had requested Erbil to close the schools associated with Fethullah Gulen and his movement, which Turkey considers a terrorist organization and behind the failed coup attempt of July 15.

“We have not been officially asked to shut down these schools,” Safeen Dizayee, Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) spokesperson, told Rudaw. But he acknowledged that the matter had been discussed with Turkish officials.

“We talked with the Turkish consulate in Erbil on this regard,” Dizayee said, adding, “The KRG will not close these schools.”

“What matters most to us is the future of the students,” he said.

Approximately 13,000 students are studying at 20 educational centers belonging to the Gulen movement, ranging from kindergarten to university.

While the schools will not be closed, they will be brought under the purview of the Ministry of Education for the time being.

After a failed military coup attempt in July, Turkey has arrested thousands of generals, teachers, police officers and judges. Ankara has also shut down hundreds of schools and universities in the country on charges of affiliation with the Gulen movement and attempts to undermine state power.

 

Source: Rudaw , August 9, 2016


Related News

Turkish Deputy PM says he will not visit Gülen amid ‘prep school tension’

Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç has said that he will not visit Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen during his trip to the United States, amid tension between the Gülen movement and the government over the possible closure of private “dershane” examination prep schools. After a Cabinet meeting on Nov. 18, Arınç had said the government would reevaluate its work on the controversial closure of the prep schools “together with the related parties.”

Why is the Turkish PM Erdoğan having difficulty?

It may be surprising, but Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan is boosting the polarization resulting from the prep school debate. Obviously, though, he is having trouble pursuing his goal. He took the time to give lengthy answers to reporters’ questions about the prep schools debate just before he flew to Russia and he directly engaged in polemics with the Gülen movement.

‘Turkish schools are excellent good will ambassadors for Turkey’

Professor Parrillo and his research team followed a qualitative methodology selecting negotiated order theory, which focuses on how structure and process combine to achieve an organization’s stated goals. They have been to countries with large Muslim populations in the Balkans (Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina) and Central Asia (Kazakhstan) and countries with large Christian populations in Europe (Poland, Romania). The research has taken them to between three and five Hizmet schools in Almaty, Astana, Bucharest, Sarajevo, Tirana and Warsaw resulting in nearly 300 interviews.

Thai minister thanks to Turkish schools for contribution to education

Panadda Diskul who is State Minister and Undersecretary of Thai Prime Ministry expressed his thanks to Turkish schools for theit contribution to education during his visit one of the schools.

Expert: I fear that Turkey is headed to a prolonged period of civil conflict if not civil war

He has become a joke, albeit a dangerous one. He has become Muammar Qadhafi. Turkey is dangerously polarized. We know from Turkish political history that such polarization often leads to violence. I fear that Turkey is headed to a prolonged period of civil conflict if not civil war.

Amnesty International researcher criticizes witch-hunt in Turkey

Amnesty International’s Turkey researcher has leveled sharp criticism against Turkey over ongoing purges that have followed a failed coup attempt in July and said arrests and firings over alleged links to the Gülen movement have now turned into a wide-ranging witch-hunt. He said arrest and detentions, which are based on no evidence, are bound to inflict damage to the notions of rule of law and freedom of expression.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

EP says Erdoğan’s ‘treason’ accusation ‘totally unacceptable’

Turkish aid organization opens school in Somalia

Journalists and Writers Foundation at UN ECOSOC annual meeting

White House hosts first-ever Eid al-Adha celebration, Rumi Forum contributes

Inside the rural Pa. compound where an influential Muslim cleric lives in exile

‘Erdoğan has replaced 1980 coup generals’

To escape from Turkey, they told their children it was a game

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor