Fethullah Gulen: I am not hiding and not on the run


Date posted: July 30, 2016

SAYLORSBURG, PA — Turkish Islamic cleric Fethullah Gulen, living in self-imposed exile in the United States, denied on Friday (July 30) allegations made by some Turkish and Arab media networks that he had escaped from the U.S.

NRT correspondent Huner Anwer spoke with Gulen in an exclusive interview at his residence in Saylorsburg, Pennsylvania. Gulen told NRT he is not in hiding and made it clear he has not left his highly secured home in the state despite suggestions made by Ankara that he may be on the run.

Gulen, whose extradition the Turkish government is pursuing, denied any connection with the failed coup attempt in Turkey and said his activities are occupied with his daily routine at the “Golden Generation Worship and Retreat Center.”

Gulen said through a translator that he has been living in his Pennsylvania residence since 1999 due to his own decision.

The Islamic cleric said he has faith the world will not believe the accusations that he was behind the coup attempt and insists he has always been against military intervention.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and his government have blamed Gulen for supposedly orchestrating the coup attempt.

Erdogan officially designated Gulen’s religious movement a terrorist group in May and said he would pursue its members.

The Turkish Consul-General to Erbil said on Thursday (July 28) the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) should recognize the Hizmet Organization of Turkish Islamic cleric Fethullah Gulen as a “terrorist organization.”

Mehmet Akif Inam, the Turkish Consul-General, said during a press conference on Thursday that he would direct requests to the KRG in the near future regarding the Hizmet Organization and schools run by the group in the Kurdistan Region.

The KRG Ministry of Education said it would abide by any decision made by the KRG Council of Ministers concerning the closure of the organization’s schools in the Kurdistan Region.

Sherko Hama Amin, a member of the Kurdistan Parliament’s Education Committee, told NRT that schools should not be shut down over political reasons, especially a political issue outside the region.

The Turkish government has previously, even before the July 15 military coup attempt, called on the KRG to close schools connected to the Gulen movement in the region.

Source: NRT TV , July 30, 2016


Related News

Greater Jakarta: Students, parents protest Embassy’s statement

Students and parents at the Turkish-affiliated Pribadi Bilingual boarding school in Depok, West Java, have filed objections over a recent statement from the Turkish Embassy in Jakarta that referred to the school as having links with a terrorist organization.

Nigeria: Our students in Turkey

Nigerian students studying in Turkey have been detained in airports after being interrogated like criminals. About 50 of them were detained in Istanbul’s Ataturk Airport for 11 hours; some were deported, even though they were bona fide students who were yet to complete their studies.

Kimse Yok Mu gives away meat aid to six thousand Afghan families

Kimse Yok Mu Foundation helped 6 thousand families in need enjoy the Eid al-Adha by slaughtering 550 head of cattle in six different provinces across Afghanistan. Joined by Afghan-Turk Cag Educational Institutions and Afghan and Turkish businessmen gave away eid beef in Kabul, Herat, Kandahar, Jalalabad, Mazar-i Sharif, Sheberghan cities, from the first day thru the third.

Hizmet without borders

Sevgi Akarçeşme* Even for perpetual pessimists, it was impossible not to hope for a world where peaceful coexistence can exist while watching the finale of the 12th Language and Culture Festival, previously known as the Turkish Olympiads, in Germany. It naturally sounds odd that the Turkish Olympiads took place in Germany. But some are familiar […]

Turkish schools and businessmen mobilized for Izmir’s EXPO candidacy

The Turkish schools around the globe have been making great effort for Izmir’s EXPO 2020 win. The schools and businessmen have taken action so that Bureau of International Expositions committee opts for Turkey in the voting to take place in Paris on November 27th. “What is lost with Olympics can be made up for in EXPO,” Fethullah Gulen had earlier said.

Deputy claims Erdoğan prevented medical treatment of Kyrgyz president in Turkey

When Atambayev got sick while in Turkey in September, Erdoğan ordered hospitals across the country to refuse him medical services. Consequently, Atambayev went to Moscow for treatment. The deputy who made this claim also stated that once Erdoğan turns his back on someone, he would never again consider that person a friend.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

GYV condemns Suruç attack, calls for measures against terror threats

Turkey’s post-coup purge and persecution makes no exception for children

Black propaganda websites granted legal shield

TUSKON says systematic campaign of defamation is under way

Human Rights Watch: People being tortured, abducted in post-coup Turkey

Professors in Gaziantep profiled alongside students

Fethullah Gulen and the Kurdish Issue

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor