Fresh political raids targets leading Turkish NGO Kimse Yok Mu

Police teams from the Anti-Smuggling and Organized Crime division stormed the office of UN member NGO Kimse Yok Mu’s branch in Turkey’s northwestern province of Kocaeli on Wednesday in the latest political raid to sweep the country.
Police teams from the Anti-Smuggling and Organized Crime division stormed the office of UN member NGO Kimse Yok Mu’s branch in Turkey’s northwestern province of Kocaeli on Wednesday in the latest political raid to sweep the country.


Date posted: September 2, 2015

On early Wednesday morning, police Anti-Smuggling and Organized Crime division KOM teams entered the Kocaeli branch of Kimse Yok Mu and confiscating applications by utilizing the reasonable doubt clause which allows police to conduct raids without any substantiated evidence. Providing aid to 4.5 million across 113 countries, Kimse Yok Mu has repeatedly been subjected to arbitrary government backed audits, passing all inspections with flying colors.

“This operation constitutes nothing more than a smear campaign,” said Kimse Yok Mu’s lawyer Sait Yılmaz. “There are no irregularities here, nor any crime or evidence that could justify a raid into this NGO which works transparently for the good of the public, helping out the people in need.”

Yılmaz also expressed that the raid, arriving just weeks ahead of the Muslim holiday of sacrifice, Eid al-Adha, is attempting to discourage donors. The Muslim holiday is one of the most important dates in the calendar year for Kimse Yok Mu increasing its operations to provide food to the impoverished in dozens of nations.

The president of the branch, Mevlüt Topçu, stated, “This operation is an attempt to sway public attention away from important developments in the country.” He added “The volunteers working inside are quite reasonable people and have never done anything wrong. We would never tolerate any wrong doing.”

The ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) has continued to draw harsh criticism over targeting certain sections of society, conducting raids against educational institutions, media as well as private enterprises.

Source: BGNNews , Sept 2, 2015


Related News

CHP Adana deputy lends support to mosque-cemevi project

Yet another figure from the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), Adana deputy Turgay Develi, has expressed his support for the first joint mosque-cemevi (Alevi house of worship) project launched in Ankara last week. The groundbreaking ceremony of the first ever mosque-cemevi cultural center was held in Ankara on Sept. 8 with the participation of a number of government figures, Alevi and Sunni community leaders and members of the public.

Separation politics and Islam makes Gülen AKP’s enemy

“The Gülen Movement is faith inspired in its motivation, but faith neutral in its manifestation.” That is how key speaker Ozcan Keles, chairperson of Dialogue Society in London, characterized the Gülen Movement in a panel discussion on the Hizmet Movement Tuesday in the European Parliament.

Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV) bridging Eastern, Western worlds

The GYV was founded in 1994, and the mission and work of the foundation is inspired by its Honorary President Fethullah Gülen. Gülen, known for his teachings of hizmet (service), tolerance and dialogue, has attracted a large number of supporters in Turkey and Central Asia and increasingly in other parts of the world.

Journalist Dumanlı says slanders against Hizmet reminiscent of Feb. 28 era

Zaman daily Editor-in-Chief Dumanlı has described slanderous remarks used by Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and some members of the Justice and Development Party government against the Hizmet movement as highly reminiscent of insults directed at the country’s conservative-minded citizens during the Feb. 28, 1997 “postmodern coup” period.

Government drags military into politics

There are now serious question marks over whether the government orchestrated the operations at TİB to libel Hizmet for wiretapping with the aim of diverting attention from the separate spying case under way in Ankara and saving those uniformed men from facing judicial scrutiny over charges of spying.

Monitoring group documents 53 suspicious deaths since coup attempt

The Sweden-based monitoring group documented in a recent report 53 cases of what it described suspicious deaths both in and outside of Turkish prisons after the coup attempt.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Turkish experts and doctors seek asylum in Greece

Australian Catholic University announces Fethullah Gulen international scholarship

Ottawa urged to expedite residency process for those fleeing oppression in Turkey

Nizamiye Will Perform 15,000 Cardiac Procedures In Nigeria

Love and Tolerance Conference, Abuja

My husband is being tortured and I am worried about his life

Walking in the Shoes of Others: Stepping in and out of Turkey

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor