Parents criticize gov’t-led police raids on educational institutions

The private Kahramankent schools. (Photo: Cihan)
The private Kahramankent schools. (Photo: Cihan)


Date posted: July 31, 2015

ÖMER KEBELİ / KAHRAMANMARAŞ

A number of parents staged a protest on Friday against raids police carried out by the police on Thursday as part of a government-led operation against 26 private schools and educational institutions in Kahramanmaraş province that are inspired by the Gülen movement, a faith-based civil society movement inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

The Cihan news agency reported on Thursday that police in Kahramanmaraş launched the operation after an anonymous complaint about tax fraud and said that digital data belonging to the institutions are being examined by the police. The police carried out simultaneous operations in the Afşin, Andırın, Elbistan, Göksun and Türkoğlu districts of Kahramanmaraş.

Gathering in front of a raided school that forms part of the Kahramankent Education Institutions chain on Thursday, dozens of parents protested the raids, saying that they will not prevent them from registering their children at these schools. One of the parents, M.T., told Today’s Zaman that the Kahramankent Education Institutions have been working selflessly for 30 years in the city, adding that Turkey has been suffering from terrorism and the way to fight against terrorism is to provide good-quality education for children.

Another parent, M.A., told Today’s Zaman that her two children attend a raided school and said that she condemned the police raids on the school.
Also speaking with Today’s Zaman, Kahramankent Education Institutions Chairman Fatih Zabun said that the raids on the schools were baseless and had been planned as a warning.

The Justice and Development Party (AK Party) has targeted people and institutions thought to be close to the Gülen movement in a series of operations since December 2013. Almost all of those detained in government-led operations have subsequently been released after a few days because the authorities fail to provide evidence proving that they had been involved in criminal activity.

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan claims the Gülen movement tried and failed to carry out a coup attempt against him and his government in December 2013 and has waged a self-declared war against the movement.

Source: Today's Zaman , July 30, 2015


Related News

Daily Sabah rehashes decades-old, refuted claims against Gülen

In what is seen as a smear campaign against Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, the pro-Erdoğan English-language Daily Sabah has rehashed old and refuted claims that Gülen is somehow linked to a 2006 attack on the Turkish Council of State by Alparslan Arslan, a lawyer who carried out the armed assault.

Erdogan’s endless legitimacy crisis

Erdogan, who is avoiding dealing with the corruption charges, cannot preserve his government on the dead-end street he has entered.

Rounding up the ISIS collaborators, in Turkey and Kurdistan

As U.S., Iraqi and Iraqi Kurdish forces close in on Mosul, there is hope that the military campaign can force ISIS out of Iraqi territory. Of course, there are many questions still unresolved, for example, about how to pick up the pieces in Mosul.

Hizmet movement and the Kurdish question

Ihsan YILMAZ  June 20, 2012 Hizmet movement (aka Gulen movement) roughly advocated two simultaneous approaches regarding Kurdish question. While the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) terrorism needs security measures as the PKK keeps attacking innocent civilians in the streets by suicide bombings and so on, the wider Kurdish issue needs cultural, socio-economic and political measures. Hizmet […]

Mass firings in Turkey: ‘We have been given a social death sentence’

Some 134,000 people were fired after Turkey’s failed coup in 2016. Most are still jobless, forced to fight for healthcare and retirement benefits, and many suffer from post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

In A Letter, A Jailed Woman Reveals Abuse And Ill-Treatment In Turkish Prison

A letter by a jailed Turkish woman who wrote to her aunt from Konya prison revealed the ill-treatment of detainees who were subjected to abuse, inhuman and cruel treatment in Turkey’s detentions and prisons.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Turkey After the July Coup Attempt – Alan Makovsky’s testimony before Committee on Foreign Affairs

Award-winning US screenwriter: Without freedom of speech and media, we’re all slaves

Carter Center gives certificate of appreciation to Kimse Yok Mu

A Letter To The Free World | Hidayet Karaca

Why did Turkey seize Bank Asya?

Gülen’s lawyer files lawsuit over unlawful police probe into Hizmet

Bangladeshi scholar publishes book on Gülen

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor