Enes Kanter to sign with Trail Blazers for record $70 million

Enes Kanter (Photo: AP)
Enes Kanter (Photo: AP)


Date posted: July 13, 2015

Turkish center Enes Kanter, known for his previous success in the American National Basketball Association (NBA) with the Oklahoma City Thunder (OKC) jersey, has agreed to sign a four-year, $70-million offer sheet with the Portland Trail Blazers.

The 23-year-old basketball sensation, who finished the last season with averages of 15.5 points and 8.9 rebounds, is signing the deal with the Blazers, but the OKC will have an opportunity to match it since he is a restricted free agent.

Kanter joined the Oklahoma City Thunder in February after almost four years at the Utah Jazz. The center holds career averages of 10.2 points per game and 6.4 rebounds per game on 51.1 percent shooting, 35.4 percent from the three-point arc. He was also voted Most Valuable Player (MVP) in the 2009 FIBA Europe Under-18 Championship while leading Turkey’s junior national team to the bronze medal.

Turkey’s basketball team coach Ergin Ataman surprisingly excluded the NBA star from Turkey’s basketball team for the 2015 European Basketball Championship recently.

Kanter has made no secret of his sympathy for the Gülen movement. The Gülen, or Hizmet, movement is a civil society group that is inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen. The Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government launched a battle against the movement in late 2013 following the exposure of a graft and bribery probe in which senior government members were implicated.

Accusing the movement of having orchestrated the probe, the government has since waged a war on Hizmet-affiliated schools, banks, media organizations and individuals. Kantar is thought to have become the latest victim of the AK Party’s battle against the movement as he had previously revealed his links to the Hizmet movement, which preaches tolerance and interfaith dialogue between Islam and other religions.

Releasing a written statement late on June 24, Kanter said: “Although I have been repeating my desire to wear the Turkish national team’s jersey over the past two years, the fact that I was not called up is very upsetting. The justifications for this decision are not convincing at all. There is only one reason: I was excluded due to my beliefs and political views,” he noted.

Source: Today's Zaman , July 10, 2015


Related News

Muslim Leader Condemns Synagogue Killings

Fethullah Gulen, the Turkish Muslim preacher who lives in exile in Saylorsburg, Pennsylvania and is sought by the Ankara for alleged involvement in the 2016 coup attempt there, condemned the massacre at the synagogue in Pennsylvania.

NPR’s Interview with Gulen – He Denies Involvement In Coup Attempt

From his exile compound in the Poconos, the cleric accused by the Turkish government of leading a failed coup attempt last year, Fethullah Gulen, denies any involvement.

US court gives Gülen 21 days to present his defense

The extradition of U.S.-based Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen was “unofficially” demanded in a civil suit filed last week by lawyers hired by the Turkish government, while a judge who accepted the appeal has given Gülen 21 days to respond to accusations filed against him.

Mueller Probes Flynn’s Role in Alleged Plan to Deliver Gulen to Turkey

Special Counsel Robert Mueller is investigating an alleged plan involving former White House national security adviser Mike Flynn to forcibly remove a Muslim cleric living in the U.S. and deliver him to Turkey in return for millions of dollars, according to people familiar with the investigation.

U.S., Turkey at impasse over extraditing Muslim cleric living in Poconos

Turkey says the United States is legally bound by a treaty to immediately hand over Fethullah Gulen, the Poconos-based Muslim cleric it accuses of plotting to overthrow Turkey’s government.

Report: White House denies remarks attributed to Obama about Gülen

White House has reportedly denied remarks attributed to US President Barack Obama about Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, describing them as “not accurate.” Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan said on Thursday during a live TV interview that Obama received “the message” about his complaint of Gülen residing in the US.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Plot against Samanyolu media group detected

AST urges foreign governments to ensure safety for participants of Hizmet Movement

Academic says Gülen movement followers should be sent to rehabilitation camps

What are The New York Times and the International Herald Tribune after?

Turkish PM calls for boycott of Gülen movement’s schools

Islam-state-society relationship: the Turkish model

Guinea-Bissau minister pay visit to Turkish school

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor