Jurist’s report highlighting illegality of Karaca’s arrest submitted to top court

Journalist Karaca was arrested on Dec. 19, 2014 based on a soap opera script, as part of a government-orchestrated crackdown on the media. (Photo: Cihan)
Journalist Karaca was arrested on Dec. 19, 2014 based on a soap opera script, as part of a government-orchestrated crackdown on the media. (Photo: Cihan)


Date posted: July 1, 2015

MÜRSEL GENÇ / ISTANBUL

Lawyers representing journalist Hidayet Karaca, who remains in prison despite a ruling for his release, have submitted a report drafted by a prominent jurist to the Constitutional Court in which the unlawfulness of Karaca’s arrest was highlighted.

The report, drafted by Supreme Court of Appeals honorary president Sami Selçuk and emphasizing the lack of legal grounds for Samanyolu Broadcasting Group CEO Karaca’s arrest, was submitted to the Constitutional Court by Karaca’s lawyers on Tuesday.

The report was submitted as an appendix to a previous individual application with the Constitutional Court on April 25, in which Karaca’s release had been requested.

In the report, Selçuk argues that detaining an individual for airing a soap opera does not have legal basis.

Karaca is accused of sending an encrypted message to police officers to arrest the leader of an al-Qaeda-linked group in eastern Turkey via an episode of a soap opera on samanyolu TV six years ago.

“The invention of fake evidence from an imaginary [script] of a soap opera is unprecedented in the criminal trials of Turkey’s history,” said Selçuk in the report.

It was further noted in the report that the ruling of the İstanbul 32nd Court of First Instance for the release of Karaca and 63 police officers should be enforced as any failure to abide by the ruling would constitute a breach of the Constitution.

The ruling of the 32nd Court of First Instance on April 25 was not enforced by public prosecutors and the two judges who made the rulings were later arrested on May 1.

Karaca, who is currently being held without indictment and with no reason given for the recent extension of his detainment, was arrested as part of a government-orchestrated major media crackdown on Dec. 14, 2014. The operation came just three days before the first anniversary of massive corruption investigations revealed to the public on Dec. 17 and 25, 2013, which implicated prominent politicians, ministers, businessmen and people among the inner circles of the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) and President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.

Other detainees, including Zaman Editor-in-Chief Ekrem Dumanlı, have since been released pending trial.

Accusations against Gülen political

Selçuk also said in the report that the arrest warrant issued by the İstanbul First Penal Court of Peace for Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen on December 2014 over allegedly leading an armed terrorist organization was “political” and based on “rumors.”

The accusations brought against Gülen were based on a speech posted on his website Herkul.org on April 6, 2009 in which he allegedly defamed the leader and several members of an al-Qaeda-affiliated group known as Tahşiyeciler (Annotators.)

The arrest warrant for Gülen was accompanied by the court’s request that the scholar be extradited from the US.
Selçuk called the accusations leveled against Gülen “political,” adding that foreign countries typically do not extradite individuals who face such accusations.

He further added that the court’s extradition request of Gülen harms the reputation of Turkey in the eyes of the US, where Gülen currently resides.

Gülen and the Gülen movement, also known as the Hizmet movement and inspired by the scholar, have been the subject of a major smear campaign by the AK Party government. Some media organs, owned and run by the AK Party government, have published stories claiming the scholar and his movement are part of a clandestine organization that is seeking to overthrow the government.

The campaign against Gülen and the Gülen movement began after the major graft investigations incriminating government figures went public in 2013.

Erdoğan and the AK Party government’s response to the corruption scandals was to reassign or dismiss those police officers and jurists who conducted the investigations and accuse the Gülen movement of orchestrating the investigations to overthrow the government.

Source: Today's Zaman , June 30, 2015


Related News

Fethullah Gülen’s message to PM Tayyip Erdoğan regarding consultants [in 2005]

Mehmet Gündem: If you were to write a letter or send a message to the Prime Minister Tayyip Erdoğan, what would you tell him? Fethullah Gülen: “Do not be content with employing consultants only from among the admirers of your party. Do not only speak with your own organizations. Benefit from the wise people who love Turkey; because they act objectively, and seek no personal gain.”

Skies shudder at an orphan’s tear

Famine, civil war and conflicts in Africa have left thousands of orphans behind. Yagmur Magazine and Kimse Yok Mu Foundation have jointly launched a projects aimed to lift up those orphans. The profit made out of the poetry album Goklerin Titreyişi (meaning shudders of the skies) will be donated to the African children in need. […]

Turkish gov’t issues detention warrants for 121 women on Int’l Women’s Day

The İstanbul Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office issued detention warrants on International Women’s Day for 121 women over alleged links to the faith-based Gülen movement, Turkey’s state-run Anadolu news agency reported.

Erdoğan Is Destroying Turkey’s Hopes for Democracy

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s extra-legal roundup of scores of presumed supporters of the failed July 15 coup against his government is quickly taking its place in modern history alongside Stalin’s purges and China’s Cultural Revolution.

To escape from Turkey, they told their children it was a game

A Turkish family that was victimized by a government purge of the Gülen movement following a failed coup in July 2016 has fled to Greece in an inflatable boat, telling their children it was a “game,” Euronews reported on Tuesday.

Turkey’s Judicial Purge Threatens the Rule of Law

But nothing in those proposed laws came close to undercutting Turkey’s justice system like the judicial purge does. If they want to be consistent, European leaders should insist on the reinstatement of the fired judges, or at least case-by-case adjudication of their alleged wrongdoing. The U.S. should make similar demands on its NATO ally. The future of the rule of law in Turkey lies in the balance.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

British lawyers warn of human rights violations in Turkey [against Gulen Movement]

Gülen offers condolences for slain İstanbul resident shot at protest

4 Turks deported from Saudi Arabia sent to jail over donations to Gülen movement

Pak-Turk Schools react to baseless claims

Mr. Fethullah Gülen’s interview for Moskovskiy Komsomolets newspaper

Turkey Continues Its Witch Hunt Against Gülen Followers

HIzmet centre takes on Erdogan regime

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor