Kanter: I was excluded from Turkey squad due to my beliefs

Enes Kanter. (Photo: Today's Zaman, Mehmet Yaman)
Enes Kanter. (Photo: Today's Zaman, Mehmet Yaman)


Date posted: June 25, 2015

Turkish basketball player Enes Kanter, who has made no secret of his links to the Gülen movement — a civil society group also known as the Hizmet movement that is inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen — has stated that he has been excluded from Turkey’s basketball team for the 2015 European Basketball Championship due to his beliefs.

Releasing a written statement late on Tuesday, Kanter said that he was not convinced by team coach Ergin Ataman’s statement to justify his decision to exclude him from the team. “Although I have been repeating my desire to wear the Turkish national team’s jersey over the past two years, the fact that I was not called up is very upsetting. The justifications for this decision are not convincing at all. There is only one reason: I was excluded due to my beliefs and political views,” Kanter noted.

Coach Ataman justified his decision to exclude Kanter at a press conference at İstanbul’s Abdi İpekçi Sports Hall on Tuesday by saying that he had twice tried to contact Kanter but the Turkish center did not return his call. The Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government launched a battle against the Hizmet movement in late 2013 following the exposure of a graft and bribery probe in which senior government members were implicated. Accusing the movement of having orchestrated the probe, the government has since waged a war on Hizmet-affiliated schools, banks, media organizations and individuals. Kantar is thought to have become the latest victim of the AK Party’s battle against the movement as he had previously revealed his links to the Hizmet movement, which preaches tolerance and interfaith dialogue between Islam and other religions.

Kanter, a 23-year-old basketball sensation who joined the Oklahoma City Thunder in February after almost four years at the Utah Jazz in the American National Basketball Association (NBA), said in his statement this week that even though he was not called up for the national team, he would support Turkey at the 2015 European Basketball Championship. “Now it is time for us to unite. Now we need to cast everything aside and support our team fully. Even though I am upset that the opportunity to serve the Turkish nation was taken away from me, we should focus on Turkey’s success in the championship,” Kanter said.

Veteran sports commentator Altan Tanrıkulu made a comparison in a piece published in the Zaman daily on Wednesday between the players who were included in the squad and Kanter. New Orleans Pelicans’ Ömer Aşık’s season average is two points and 7.3 rebounds per game and Detroit Pistons’ Ersan İlyasova has averaged 8.7 points and 4.3 rebounds over the last season. However, Kanter finished the last season with averages of 15.5 points and 8.9 rebounds, respectively.

Hundreds of Twitter users have also supported Kanter with the hashtag #EnesKantersMilliAyıp (National shame over Enes Kanter) and criticized Ataman on the grounds that he made the decision because Kanter has revealed his links to the Gülen movement.

Kantar, who was voted Most Valuable Player (MVP) in the 2009 FIBA Europe Under-18 Championship while leading Turkey’s junior national team to the bronze medal, has been accused of arbitrarily rejecting the national team in the past. A smear campaign was launched against Kanter after the national team lost warm-up games before the 2013 European Championship.

However, Kanter rejected accusations that he left the national basketball team in the lurch in the 2013 European Championship in Slovenia and the 2014 World Cup in Spain, stating that he has always been proud to serve the Turkish national team.

Source: Today's Zaman , June 24, 2015


Related News

Kimse Yok Mu distributes aid to Syrian refugees

As Turkey is trying to meet the needs of the hundreds of thousands of Syrian refugees who have taken shelter in Turkey from the war in Syria, charity organizations have scrambled to launch massive aid campaigns to lend a hand to the embattled refugees, with Kimse Yok Mu providing food and aid for 2,500 Syrians in İstanbul every week.

Criminal complaint filed against media organizations publishing Gülen’s speeches

An organization called the Law and Democracy Foundation which was established by lawyer Mehmet Ali Canlı, a Justice and Development Party (AK Party) hopeful in the June 7 general election, on Wednesday filed a criminal complaint against media organizations that publish the speeches of Fethullah Gülen, a renowned Islamic scholar.

Efforts to accuse Hizmet movement of conspiracy failed, says lawyer

With the courts continuing to release police officers arrested in government-backed investigations, the lawyer of one of these officers says the court decisions have shown that the government is failing to demonstrate that the faith-based Hizmet movement was behind efforts to overthrow the government.

US voices concern about press freedom over Karaca’s arrest

The United States has expressed concern about press freedom in Turkey in regards to the Samanyolu TV network’s top executive, Hidayet Karaca, being arrested after a media crackdown on Dec. 14, saying that it is continuing to address these concerns to Turkish authorities.

Koza gold firm starts up company in UK

The gold company, whose owner Akın İpek is known to have close ties with Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen’s Hizmet (Service) movement, has been hit by the suspension of several of its mining fields.

Cyber attacks on news websites threaten freedom of press, expression

Starting mid-February, the Radio and Television Supreme Council (RTÜK) has been severely penalizing a number of news TV channels known for their anti-government broadcasts. Those channels, which include Samanyolu Haber TV and Bugün TV, were mostly penalized on the grounds that their programs were biased. The channels have been broadcasting reports about claims of corruption and bribery that have implicated some government members.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

‘Mission impossible’ for Turkey’s ambassadors

CHP asks gov’t about file allegedly targeting TUSKON

With Husband Already In Jail, Woman Along With Two Children Detained In Post-Coup Witch Hunt

14th Annual Friendship Dinner and Award Ceremony

Are politics and Hizmet from different walks of life?

JWF statement on allegations against Hizmet movement

Turkish nationals in South Africa fear abductions

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor