Bank Asya lawyers call upon B Group shareholders to join against seizure

Bank Asya
Bank Asya


Date posted: June 25, 2015

YELDA ATAÇ / ISTANBUL

Publicly traded Islamic bank Bank Asya’s owners have launched 100 cases against the seizure by regulators, with lawyer Süleyman Taşbaş emphasizing that lawsuits can also be filed on behalf of the 18,000 shareholders corresponding to the B Group shares.

The total number of cases filed against the seizure of the bank in late May and the management overhaul in February has now reached 100, with the legal team of the A Group shareholders demanding the return of the bank’s operations and the management. The Banking Regulation and Supervision Agency’s (BDDK) orders led the Savings and Deposit Insurance Fund (TMSF) to first take over the bank’s management on February 3rd and then banking operations of the lender on May 29th.

Speaking to Bugün daily, Taşbaş said that the number of cases may reach 110 with the main case file reaching 500 pages, pointing out that the B Group shareholders will also have the opportunity to file cases until the legal deadline expires in the next 35 days. In a public call out to the 18,000 B Group shareholders, Taşbaş said “If individuals want to prevent any abuse of their rights that may come in the future, they have to open cases.”

Taşbaş expressed hope that the courts will act objectively in reviewing the cases. Bank Asya had long been subject to political attacks prior to the measures imposed by the BDDK, with President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan even stating that the bank “had already failed” despite the fact that the publicly traded Islamic lender had one of the best capital adequacy ratios of the sector. Defamatory rumors published by pro-government press over the past year and a half have been challenged, yet remain unpunished.

Süleyman Taşbaş also said that a criminal complaint will be filed with the prosecutors against the bureaucrats working at the regulatory agencies who took part in the seizure of the bank and its management.

The Bank Asya shareholders’ lawyer reiterated that the February 3rd takeover of the bank’s management – on the grounds that it had disclosed insufficient information pertaining to its founding shareholders – was neither justifiable nor true.

“Bank Asya had achieved more transparency than the rest of the banking sector. We have stressed this fact over and over again and have made strong arguments against the issues underlined by the BDDK. Therefore we are hopeful of a positive outcome,” he said in a prior statement to the press on Tuesday. Taşbaş reiterated that the regulator had not been able to report any illegal activity by the bank, adding “there is no way to mask the illegal measures taken against the bank.”

The February 3rd management takeover occurred when the Banking Regulation and Supervision Agency only processed documentation corresponding to the ownership of 37 percent of the shares instead of the 53 percent which had been submitted. Even though more than 90 percent of the documents have since been completed and submitted, management still has not been handed back.

The May 29th seizure proved even more scandalous, with TMSF President Şakir Ercan Gül himself recognizing the bank’s strong financials in a statement to a Turkish news station on June 1st, “The bank’s assets are positive. We will not be touching shares either belonging to the owners or those which are publicly traded.”

Source: BGNNews , June 25, 2015


Related News

GYV rejects claims that Hizmet movement dominates Turkey’s judiciary

The Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV) has strongly criticized and denied news reports suggesting that the Hizmet movement, which is inspired by well-respected Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, dominates the judiciary and bureaucratic positions within the Turkish state, calling the claims groundless. The claims appeared at a time when prosecutors summed up their case in […]

RTÜK suspends 20 SHaber TV shows, harshest penalty of all times

Radio and Television Supreme Council (RTÜK) has suspended 20 TV shows of the Samanyolu Haber TV news channel, its Editor in Chief Metin Yıkar announced via his Twitter account on Saturday. The RTÜK penalty came days after Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan vowed to finish off the Hizmet Movement and its affiliates, including the Samanyolu Haber TV.

Pro-Erdoğan journalist: Gülen followers should be kept in detention camps, given food tickets

Cemil Barlas, a staunch supporter of Tayyip Erdoğan and commentator for the pro-government A Haber TV, said during a program that followers of the Gülen movement, which the government accuses of being behind a failed coup on July 15, must be kept in detention camps and should be given food tickets.

Turkey’s largest charity group targeted

Turkey’s political Islamists, armed with abusive government powers, are deliberately and maliciously trying to strangle the country’s leading private charity group, Kimse Yok Mu, in order to dismantle an important barrier in front of the awkward social engineering project of turning this moderate Muslim nation into a bastion for ideological zealots.

11th Turkish Olympiad opens with grand ceremony in Ankara

İPEK ÜZÜM A grand inauguration ceremony was held at 19 Mayıs Stadium in Ankara on Saturday night for the 11th International Turkish Language Olympiad, a festival that celebrates the Turkish language and this year brought together 2,000 students from 140 countries around the world. The 11th Olympiad, which is organized by the International Turkish Education […]

Turkey’s Gulen movement sees a smear campaign

ATUL ANEJA, April 26, 2012 As the endgame in Turkey’s transition to a mature democracy nears, media attacks have sharpened against the Gulen movement — a mass mobilisation vehicle that has, over the years, openly and peacefully challenged the concentration of privileges among the country’s military-backed old guard. Simultaneously, the movement has offered a socio-political […]

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Armed with automatic rifles, Turkish authorities raid Gülen-linked schools

UN Concerned About Albanian Deportations of Turkish ‘Gulenists’

Pro-Erdogan gang leader says will hang all Gülenists

America Shouldn’t Give up Fethullah Gülen to Turkey

Pakistan admits they secretly deported Turkish family wanted by Erdogan govt

Opposing the majority

Should I not respond to those who want to strangle me?

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor