‘Pool media’ court case against Zaman daily tossed out

Some of pro-government newspapers are seen in this collage prepared by Today's Zaman.
Some of pro-government newspapers are seen in this collage prepared by Today's Zaman.


Date posted: June 15, 2015

An İstanbul court tossed out a court case filed against the Zaman daily by the Turkuvaz Media Group involving a Zaman news article detailing pro-government businessman pooling funds together to purchase Turkuvaz late last week.

The Turkuvaz Media Group, which includes such popular outlets as the Sabah and Takvim dailies and the ATV channel, as well as the English-language Daily Sabah, has been referred to as the “pool media” since allegations surfaced that a group of businessmen formed a pool of funds to purchase the group on the instructions of then-Prime Minister and current President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan in return for privileged treatment in public tenders. These allegations are based on a number of leaked voice recordings, purportedly of Erdoğan and businessmen who were involved in the scheme.

The Zaman daily published a story in February of last year detailing this plan according to information on the leaked tapes, and Turkuvaz subsequently filed a lawsuit in an İstanbul court against Zaman, arguing that the latter was guilty of defamation. However, Zaman’s lawyers argued that the purpose of the story was simply to inform the public and the court ruled on Zaman’s side, dismissing the case.

The term “pool media” has also been used in broader reference to all pro-Justice and Development Party (AK Party) newspapers and channel. Many of these are owned by contractors with close ties to the AK Party who have been awarded lucrative contracts for major construction projects.

There is a widespread perception that these media outlets function as a mouthpiece for the AK Party and are maintained with the tacit understanding that lucrative tenders and contracts will continue to be awarded to the owners.

Source: Today's Zaman , June 14, 2015


Related News

Prosecutor says he was blocked from investigating new graft probe

After the [Turkish] government took a new graft probe from prosecutor Muammer Akkaş – a move that could further cast a shadow over the corruption investigation – he told media that the case was taken from him without any reasons being cited, effectively blocking him from doing his job. “All my colleagues and the public should know that I have been prevented from doing my duty,” the prosecutor said in a statement sent to media outlets on Thursday.

Turkey’s accused – Tragic stories of the purged

Turkey’s hunt for traitors after the failed July 15 coup has upended communities around the country and strained the rule of law. Arrests initially focused on military and security personnel. In the months since, tens of thousands of others, mainly teachers, have been caught in the crackdown.

Fethullah Gülen: alleged coup mastermind – and friendly neighbor

Chuck Parker, who lives down the road from Fethullah Gülen, said: “When we have the traditional Thanksgiving, he has a dinner then. He also has a dinner for Ramadan.” He and many other residents have received invitations, which often come with a personal touch. “They usually hand deliver it, or one of the guys bring it over.”

Lawyers highlight attempt to pin unsolved murders on Gülen

The decision by the Ankara Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office to re-examine cases of unsolved murders that took place between 2000 and 2013 is an attempt to pin the murders on Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen and the Hizmet movement, a grassroots civil society organization inspired by Gülen, the scholar’s lawyers have said.

After The Coup Attempt, A Crackdown In Turkey

Once considered a beacon of hope for the Middle East, Turkey has been rapidly backsliding on issues of democracy, freedom of the press, and human rights. One would have thought this downfall hit bottom on July 15, when a bloody coup was attempted, leaving behind more than 250 dead.

Prof. Scott Alexander: Hizmet is a social movement for peace

“What I have personally observed is that Hizmet is a movement that embraces contrasts and in which everyone can find a place for themselves. It’s a globally transformational movement. It is, on the other hand, able to combine tradition and modernity and bring them around the common values. Although I might not be necessarily exercising your values, I consider myself a part of this movement. The principles that lead the movement are what lead my life as well.” Alexander remarked.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Tunisian scholar Ghannouchi: Gülen promotes ‘noble Islam’

State government in Baden Wurttemberg in constructive dialogue with Hizmet volunteers

Pro-Erdoğan journalists call for assassination of Gülen followers abroad

Fethullah Gulen’s Prominence in Indonesia

Gülen ‘speechless’ on gov’t action plan against Hizmet movement

The Hizmet Movement: Reflections from Sri Lanka

Islamist daily published profiling story in 2010

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor