“There will be no Turkish Olympiad,” says Erdoğan

Patricia Dalde Linogao from the Philippines wins the International Language and Culture Festival’s song contest held in the Romanian capital Bucharest.
Patricia Dalde Linogao from the Philippines wins the International Language and Culture Festival’s song contest held in the Romanian capital Bucharest.


Date posted: June 10, 2015

SELÇUK GÜLTAŞLI

Bülent Arınç, a deputy prime minister in the Justice and Development Party (AKP) government, is the “good cop” who takes the stage when there is a need for reconciliation.

During a speech made in Bursa, he said, “Well, they are not all bad; there are also some good people,” in reference to minority religious groups and communities. “Those groups know me well and I know them well. I urge them to pay attention to this: If we exist, they will. If we do not, they will not,” he continued. This is known as the “Bursa Warning.” These were remarks that a religious politician should not have made because they are against the main premises of the religion. Well, we see him as a politician rather than a religious figure, but we were surprised when we heard these remarks. President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan then confirmed this stance while addressing a political rally in Hatay with this notorious statement: “There is no water for them. There will be no Turkish language Olympiad.”

As usual, Erdoğan and Arınç made strong statements that went beyond the bounds of courtesy. Erdoğan kept his promise and closed the doors to the Olympiads in Turkey but the Olympiads have since become a popular global brand. The magical climate of this event, which had been a source of joy in Turkey, took hold in different parts of the world, including Australia, Ethiopia, Brussels and The Hague, which is home to the International Court of Justice.

Without Erdoğan, the Olympiads would have remained a local brand and neither the European Parliament (EP) nor the International Court of Justice would have hosted these activities. Without Erdoğan, only Turkish politicians would have received these brilliant kids but now European politicians take care of them. Now Martin Schulz, leader of the largest international assembly in the world (the EP) and Belgian Foreign Minister Didier Rynders support it. Belgian Federal Prime Minister Charles Michel, who attended the full program in Brussels, said he — speaking on behalf of all Belgium — was proud of hosting this program.

Belgian Federal Parliament President Siegfried Bracke said, “I watched an amazing program today. We received all the messages delivered here.” But there was one particular attendee at the event who deserves closer attention: Former Belgian Prime Minister and the first President of the European Council Herman Van Rompuy. Van Rompuy, who made the opening speech along with the current prime minister of Belgium, Charles Michel, said it was an extraordinary program. Van Rompuy was the president of the EU who hosted then-Prime Minister Erdoğan on his visit to Brussels shortly after the Dec. 17, 2013 corruption probe.

On his way back to Turkey, Erdoğan spoke to journalists aboard his plane and told them he had convinced EU leaders, including then-EU President Rompuy, of the probe’s origins in the so-called “parallel state.” I remembered these remarks when hearing Rompuy yesterday. I told myself that Erdoğan did not convince the EU leaders at all; in fact he might even have encouraged them to participate in the program.

The famous Belgian script writer Adil el Arbi made the most important statement in the program: “It is an amazing event. It is unbelievable to bring such talents together from different parts of the world.” We are grateful to the volunteers of the International Festival of Language and Culture (IFLC), the Federation of Active Associations in Belgium (FEDACTIO) and the Belgian-Turkish Friendship Association (BELTUD) who took part in organizing the program. Erdoğan might have felt badly when he saw that the official French-language broadcaster of Belgium, Radio Télévision Belge Francophone (RTBF), aired the program live, but we should also thank him. Would we see this happen without his stance? Would the language and culture festival have become globalized? This means that we will exist with or without you. We will have the Olympiads because you cannot decide this for us. Only God has that power.”

Source: Today's Zaman , June 09, 2015


Related News

Gülen’s lawyer: New arrest warrant for Gülen is unlawful

The lawyer for Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, Nurullah Albayrak, in reaction to Turkish media reports on Tuesday of another arrest warrant being issued for his client, said in a statement that according to the law on criminal procedure, it is unlawful for a court to issue an arrest warrant unless the accused has been appropriately called to appear before the court.

You cannot explain it!

Preparations are being made to create the grounds for accusations of a gang or terrorist organization, which has been tried many times before. Is it not possible for a criminal complaint to not be filed against a certain group of people if the prime minister of the country accuses them every day? There is now pressure on the judiciary

AFSV Condemns Erdoğan’s Persecution of the Hizmet Movement

The push by Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan for the Prime Minister’s cabinet to designate the Hizmet movement — also known as the “Gülen movement” — as a terrorist organization only serves to further Erdoğan’s crackdown on dissent, civil society and the media.

Lawyer: Gülen will appeal court decision to cancel his green passport

Nurullah Albayrak, lawyer for Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, said his client will appeal a Council of State ruling that Gülen’s green passport was obtained illegally.

Ethiopian President receives Ethio-Turkish schools delegation

Board members of Nejashi Ethio-Turkish International Schools recently paid a courtesy visit to the newly elected Ethiopian President, Dr. Mulatu Teshome, in his presidential office. A former ambassador of Ethiopia to Ankara, Teshome warmly received the board members of the schools, which have been operating in the country for nine years, currently with 1,300 students […]

Pro-gov’t media knows no limits in ’parallel’ claims

Ever since President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan launched a battle against the faith-based Hizmet movement after a corruption probe went public on Dec. 17, 2013, almost no day has passed without pro-government media outlets’ bringing forward allegations about the “parallel structure or state” and associating any negative development in the country with this so-called structure.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Turkey overshadows war-hit Syria in number of academics seeking asylum elsewhere

Full-Fledged Hate Speech By Erdoğan: Gülen Movement Became ‘Unthinking Slaves’

Peace Islands Honors Noteworthy NJ Residents

Child of purged victim in Turkey says: I was 14 months old when my dad jailed

Foundation stone of Ethio-Turkish Schools’ new dormitory laid

Terrorist PKK targets Gulen movement’s schools in Hakkari

Gülen’s defense against Erdoğan’s onslaught

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor