Gülen calls for respect for the sacred, denounces terrorism

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen. (Photo: Today's Zaman, Selahattin Sevi)
Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen. (Photo: Today's Zaman, Selahattin Sevi)


Date posted: January 20, 2015

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has called on everyone to respect each other’s sacred values while at the same time strongly condemning the use of violence and engagement in terrorism in so-called attempts to protect these sacred values.

Gülen shared his views on the recent violence in Paris, which began with a terrorist attack on the French satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo that left 12 people dead, in his latest speech broadcast on the herkul.org website on Saturday. In the speech, titled “Respect for the sacred, condemnation of terrorism,” Gülen said everyone is free to choose whether they believe in God, but insulting others’ sacred values cannot be explained with humanistic values.

Referring to Charlie Hebdo’s cartoons depicting the Prophet Muhammad, Gülen said these cartoons were disrespectful to the Prophet, who is believed, loved and respected by 1.5 billion people in the world. However, he said, this is just one side of the coin.

“On the other side of the issue, there is a certain way of responding to such negative things. You cannot go and do something to those who showed disrespect for the sacred; refraining from such acts prevents a vicious cycle. Why aren’t you acting with good sense and showing your reaction in a way that does not disturb anyone and teaches a lesson of humanity?” Gülen asked.

The Islamic scholar, who is well-known for his inspirational speeches on interfaith dialogue, has always voiced staunch opposition to radical groups engaged in terrorism.

In an earlier statement, Gülen condemned the attack on Charlie Hebdo and a series of shootings in Paris suburbs earlier this month that left 17 dead, and extended his condolences to the families of the victims. He said these revolting acts of terrorism are deplorable and serve no purpose but to bring about “destruction, sorrow and grief.”

“I reiterate my condemnation of all forms of terror regardless of its perpetrators or their stated purposes,” said the statement, published on behalf of Gülen by the New York-based Alliance for Shared Values.

The Islamic scholar said he sends his deepest condolences to the victims’ families, loved ones and the people of France.

Twelve people were killed when two Islamist militants burst into Charlie Hebdo’s weekly editorial meeting on Jan. 7, opening fire in an act of revenge for the paper’s past publication of satirical images of the Prophet Muhammad.

Yemen’s al-Qaeda branch last Wednesday claimed responsibility for the Paris attack. Al-Qaeda had in the past threatened Charlie Hebdo and cartoonists who depicted Islam’s prophet. Editor Stephane Charbonnier, one of those killed during the attack, was on a hit list published in a 2013 edition of Inspire, the English-language publication issued by al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula.

Source: Today's Zaman , January 17, 2015


Related News

The U.S. may face a choice between geopolitical calculation and human decency

Such movements, especially if they’re Muslim, attract suspicion in the West. In 2008, the Dutch government began investigating Hizmet. Its conclusions were that the movement isn’t involved in terrorism or a breeding ground for radicalism, nor does it oppose integration of Muslims into secular states. In 2015, MLK’s alma mater, Morehouse College, awarded its Gandhi King Ikeda Peace Award to Gülen for his lifelong commitment to peace among nations. But Erdogan insists that Gülen is a terrorist.

Kimse Yok Mu to distribute 90,000 food packages during Ramadan

The Kimse Yok Mu (Is Anybody There) charity foundation will be offering aid packages to 90,000 families in all the 81 provinces during the holy month of Ramadan. The fasting month of Ramadan, deemed the sultan of all the months by Muslims, is considered the most venerated, blessed and spiritually beneficial month of the Islamic […]

German intel expert says, based on CIA, BND reports, Erdoğan was behind failed coup

German intelligence expert and author Erich Schmidt-Eenboom has said Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, not the faith-based Gülen movement, was behind a failed coup attempt in Turkey on July 15, 2016 based on intelligence reports from the US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) and the German Federal Intelligence Service (BND).

Turkey’s counter-terrorism campaign [against Hizmet] discredited

The agenda of the Turkish authorities [against Hizmet] goes far beyond the attempted coup, it is about the need to neutralise a movement that became a political threat when its followers within the judiciary and police started exposing corruption within the government’s ruling inner circle in December 2013.

Colours of the World; IFLC Pakistan grand finale

Grand Finale of Pakistan round in the 14th Annual International Language and Culture Festival was held at Expo Centre Lahore on Saturday February 27, 2016. Minister Education Government of the Punjab, Rana Mashhod Ahmed and Minister for Excise and Taxation Mian Mujtaba Shuja-ur-Rehman were the guests of honour in the event.

How Turkey is emerging as a development partner in Africa

Turkey has emerged as a generous donor for humanitarian crises across the world over the past five years, especially in the context of Africa. In 2011, while official development assistance (ODA) fell in 16 DAC countries, Turkey’s net ODA increased by over 38%. Following the ‘Turkey – Africa Co-operation summit‘ in Istanbul in August 2008, the African […]

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

To Turkey and Back!

Erdoğan prepares for a bloodbath

The message at the dialogue dinner: There’s no alternative to one Nigeria

In Berlin, inside a Gulen “light-house”

Zaman Arabic aims to be online paper of reference

The anomaly of war

Lawrence Seidman on Fethullah Gulen and Hizmet Movement

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor