Gülen’s lawyers slam Erdoğan’s ‘slanderous’ unsolved murders remarks

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen is seen at his residence in Saylorsburg, Pennsylvania, Sept. 24, 2013. (photo by REUTERS/Selahattin Sevi)
Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen is seen at his residence in Saylorsburg, Pennsylvania, Sept. 24, 2013. (photo by REUTERS/Selahattin Sevi)


Date posted: December 13, 2014

The lawyers of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen have denounced recent statements by President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan in which he held the Hizmet movement responsible for some unsolved murders in Turkey.

In a statement released on Saturday, the lawyers termed Erdoğan’s statements as slanderous and “far from intelligence and conscience.”

“It has been once again understood that in the new Turkey, investigations are being carried out at lecterns where political sermons are given or at the pool media [which is created through funds raised by various pro-government businessmen to protect the government’s interests] instead of prosecutor’s offices. It should not be forgotten that, in the next phase of this situation is that verdicts will be given by the presidency, not courts,” the statement said.

Amidst rumors that the government plans to detain some 150 Hizmet-affliated journalists in a police operation, Erdoğan claimed on Friday that members of the movement are “even implicated in unsolved murders.” “You will see more shocking things,” he added.

Referring to Erdoğan’s earlier accusations and insults targeting the movement, Gülen’s lawyers said the public heard “really shocking things from the president so far.” “Yet his remarks make it clear that it will be a reality of the new Turkey to blame and target people with police operations without any legal and moral criteria,” the lawyers said.
They also vowed to take legal action against Erdoğan’s “slanderous” remarks.

Since a major corruption investigation launched in December of last year, which implicated government ministers and Erdoğan’s inner circle, Erdoğan has declared a “war” against Hizmet. He insulted members of the faith-based movement numerous times and directed serious accusations at them. He invented the term “parallel structure” to refer to followers of the Hizmet movement that was inspired by Gülen, particularly followers within the state bureaucracy.

The president, who was then prime minister, framed the corruption investigation as a “plot against his government” by the Hizmet movement and foreign collaborators. He has so far failed to prove his claims.

Source: Today's Zaman , December 13, 2014


Related News

All colors gather in Turkey to pay last tributes to Vatican official Msgr. Marovitch

Zaman Newspaper  March 24, 2012 A former Vatican diplomatic official in Turkey, Msgr. Georges Marovitch who lost his life in a hospital at the age of 81 were buried after funeral ceremony held in İstanbul’s St. Esprit Church on Saturday. Msgr. Marovitch passed away the other day as he suffered from a multiple organ failure […]

Abant tackles contentious issue of drafting new constitution

9 March 2012 / TODAY’S ZAMAN, İSTANBUL As this year’s Abant Platform tackles the pressing issue of shaping Turkey’s new constitution, a wide spectrum of intellectuals, lawyers, political leaders and journalists are discussing the problematic areas of, and proposing solutions to, the constitutional drafting process. “Deliberations should continue with the spirit of respecting each other’s […]

Efforts to accuse Hizmet movement of conspiracy failed, says lawyer

With the courts continuing to release police officers arrested in government-backed investigations, the lawyer of one of these officers says the court decisions have shown that the government is failing to demonstrate that the faith-based Hizmet movement was behind efforts to overthrow the government.

86-year-old Gülen-linked philanthropist arrested on terror (!) charges

Eighty-six-year-old businessman Celal Afşar was arrested on Thursday along with his daughter, son-in-law and two others in Niğde province as part of an investigation into the faith-based Gülen movement, the tr724 news website reported.

Turkey Carries Out Major NATO Purge

Turkey has fired hundreds of senior military staff serving at NATO in Europe and the United States following July’s coup attempt, documents show, broadening a purge to include some of the armed forces’ best-trained officials.

Which is the bigger threat, Turkey’s coup or Erdogan’s response?

Erdogan’s counter-coup may do more to change Turkish politics than the coup plotters ever sought, completing the country’s transformation from secular democracy to what’s fast becoming the new favorite government for aspiring dictators — one where the media is strictly controlled, conformity is entrenched through the schools, elections bring little change, and presidents can rule for life.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

EU calls on Turkey to Investigate abduction cases targeting Gülen Movement

Turkish schools bridge between Vietnam and Turkey

Ghana delegation explores business in Turkey

Reconsidering Gender Equality and Peaceful Societies

Corruption scandal will consolidate Turkish democracy

Fethullah Gulen and Gulen Movement Discussed at German Symposium

Limits of political Islam: the other face of AKP (2)

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor