Part of Turkish media say have been shut out by government


Date posted: November 20, 2014

HÜMEYRA PAMUK/ DASHA AFANASIEVA/ / ISTANBUL

Turkish media close to a US-based Islamic preacher accused by President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan of seeking to usurp power say they have been shut out of government press events in a move they see as evidence of Turkey’s deteriorating press freedoms.

Correspondents from the Zaman and Bugün newspapers, the Samanyolu TV station and Cihan News Agency say they have been banned from the presidential palace since Erdogan’s inauguration in August and no longer receive official press releases.

Erdoğan, whose ruling AK Party has roots in political Islam, accuses preacher Fethullah Gülen of building a “parallel state” of followers in institutions including the police and judiciary in a bid to seize the levers of state power.

Erdoğan says Gülen orchestrated a corruption scandal against his inner circle last year in an attempted “judicial coup,” a charge Gülen denies, and has described the preacher’s “Hizmet” (Service) network as a threat to national security.

The media ban was extended to key ministries including the prime minister’s office and the ministry of foreign affairs a few days after a National Security Council meeting last month, according to journalists from Gülen-linked media outlets.

“This is a war, a fight, an effort to wipe out Hizmet,” said Tercan Ali Baştürk of the Gülen-affiliated Journalists and Writers Foundation, seeing the ban as “punishment” for their news organizations’ coverage of the corruption probe.

The foreign ministry declined to comment but government officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, defended the move.

“The priority of some press institutions is not journalism but serving their political agenda … There are journalists who criticize the government and are still covering it, but the Gülenists had a particular agenda,” one official said.

Erdoğan’s domination of the media, much of it owned by conglomerates with business ties to the AK Party, has pushed Turkey, which is a candidate for membership of the European Union, toward the bottom of global press freedom rankings.

In its October report on Turkey’s progress towards accession, the European Commission raised concerns about press freedom in Turkey and called on the government to “promote dialogue across the political spectrum.”

It also chastised Turkey for interfering in the judiciary following the corruption probe.

Former allies

Gülen’s network helped cement Erdoğan’s rise, aiding him to curb the power of a military that saw itself as the guardian of the secular state and toppled four governments in the second half of the 20th century.

Its influence in the judiciary was seen as key to the jailing of generals and politicians as the ruling party clamped down on its secularist opponents.

Prominent journalists, including Nedim Şener and Ahmet Şık, were also detained for their work critical of Gülen’s life and influence, prompting an outcry over freedom of the press.

The marriage of convenience between Erdoğan and Gülen has since fallen apart as the former allies turned on each other in a power struggle that burst into the open with last December’s corruption scandal.

“The government is using the same methods the military used in the past … The only thing that has changed are the oppressors and the oppressed. Power has changed hands, but the old limitations on freedom have not,” Baştürk said.

Erdoğan has sought to purge the judiciary and police of Gülen’s influence in the wake of the corruption scandal and has repeatedly called for the cleric’s extradition to Turkey.

The rift has extended to businesses linked to the cleric, most notably Islamic lender Bank Asya, whose shares slumped after state-owned firms and institutions withdrew deposits earlier this year amid what its chief executive has called a “smear campaign.”

Erdoğan has denied trying to sink the bank.

Cihan’s general director, Abdülhamit Bilici, said the media ban was damaging the news agency’s business and threatened legal action.
“It’s financial discrimination,” he told Reuters, comparing the situation to restrictions imposed after a 1997 military coup. “We were on the blacklist then, when it was a military coup.Now we’re having the same from a civilian organization.”


 

Reuters

(Additional reporting by Seda Sezer and Ayla Jean Yackley in Istanbul, Gulsen Solaker in Ankara; writing by Humeyra Pamuk; editing by Nick Tattersall and Giles Elgood)

Source: Today's Zaman , November 17, 2014


Related News

Henri Barkey: Why Is Turkey Accusing Me of Plotting a Coup?

Soon after the coup was defeated, my colleagues and I became the targets of sensationalist conspiracy theories promulgated by Turkey’s pro-government press. The accusations ranged from organizing the coup on behalf of the C.I.A. to setting up communication links for the plotters and, most implausibly, bringing a convicted murderer from California into Turkey to engage in evil deeds.

Mr. Minister, please look at yourself in the mirror

My life changed since I asked two critical questions at a conference held last week in Washington, D.C., with the participation of several pro-government journalists and experts from the Foundation for Political, Economic and Social Research (SETA), a Turkish think tank with close ties to the government. Insults about me, my paper and even the social community I am affiliated with were abundant.

Turkish-Arab forum focuses on gov’t oppression on Hizmet

Discussing the recent developments in Turkey and the Muslim world during the “Arab-Turkish Intellectuals Forum” in İstanbul on Tuesday, a scholar from Egypt likened the smear campaign conducted by Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan against the Hizmet movement to the suppression of a civic movement in Egypt.

Third suspicious disappearance in a week: Teacher dismissed in post-coup crackdown not seen for 14 days

Cengiz Usta, a 44-year-old teacher who was dismissed from his post as part of the Turkish government’s post-coup purge of state-institutions, has been missing since Apr 4, joining two other education professionals who are claimed to have been abducted in the same week.

A Very Predictable Coup?

First of all, though it is not a major issue, none of us believes that Gulen was behind the coup. It is convenient for Erdogan to blame his principal opponent because it will facilitate the arrests of any and all opponents not linked to the actual coup by claiming that they are Gulenists.

Another Gülenist teacher at risk of deportation from Bosnia

Fatih Keskin, a Turkish educator and the principal of Una-Sana College, an institute operating within the Gülen-affiliated Richmond Park Schools Group, was detained by the police in Bihać city.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Erdogan drags Turkey toward totalitarianism

Turkish PM tightens grip on judiciary in parliament vote

Deputy speaker of Kenya Parliament: “I Gave Out Fethullah Gülen’s books to Congressmen”

Outcome of Dakar Conference on Hizmet Movement

Practicing Muslims and social (in)justice

Gülen: ‘Shame for military to stage coups but not to finish off the PKK’

Turkish school extended help to Turks after earthquake in Nepal

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor