Sakarya court orders stay of execution on closure of Fatih Koleji


Date posted: August 24, 2014

The Sakarya Administrative Court on Friday issued a stay of execution on the closure decision for Fatih Koleji, a Hizmet-affiliated school that has been running in the Beyköy district of Düzce province, saying that the school is allowed to continue to operate in the 2014-2015 education period.

Following the court decision, lawyer Teoman Yaman released a statement to the press regarding the motion for a stay of execution, saying: “The decision of the court proved [Beyköy Mayor] Osman Kılıç wrong. He claimed that Fatih Koleji did not have a license. In accordance with the court decision, we re-opened our education building. It is now crystal clear that the municipality had an ulterior motive or nefarious intentions against the school,” Yaman said.

In early June, the İstanbul Metropolitan Municipality stopped the construction of an education complex on privately owned land on the pretext that the land would be used as a green area and meeting point in the event of an earthquake. The municipality, however, failed to obtain the required approval from other authorities in the province to halt the construction of the education complex. They said the complex belonged to Fetih Eğitim İşletmeleri, which has close ties to the faith-based Hizmet movement.

In a separate case, the Bolu Municipality, having previously closed down two schools belonging to businesspeople affiliated with the Hizmet movement in early July, also constructed a road inside the garden of Fatih Koleji on Aug. 10, despite the fact that the school is surrounded by empty plots of land and no residential area exists around the school.

The closed schools are close to the Hizmet movement, which is inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen. President-elect Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has accused the Hizmet movement of being behind a massive corruption investigation that implicated members of his family, inner circle and four then-Cabinet ministers. He claims that the investigation was an attempt to overthrow his Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government, although the prime minister has not been able to produce any evidence to justify his claims.

Source: Today's Zaman , August 22, 2014


Related News

Young environmentalists awarded at 22nd INEPO

Young environmentalists from different corners of the world who attended the 22nd International Environmental Project Olympiad (INEPO) to find solutions to environmental problems and thus make the world a better place to live have been awarded gold, silver and bronze medals.

Ex-AK Party delegate slams persecution of Hizmet movement

There are few individuals in Turkish political history with such a long career as Haluk Özdalga. Having formerly served with the Democratic Left Party (DSP) and the Republican Peoples Party (CHP), Özdalga joined the AK Party (the ruling Justice and Development party) with high hopes for democracy in 2007.

Which is the bigger threat, Turkey’s coup or Erdogan’s response?

Erdogan’s counter-coup may do more to change Turkish politics than the coup plotters ever sought, completing the country’s transformation from secular democracy to what’s fast becoming the new favorite government for aspiring dictators — one where the media is strictly controlled, conformity is entrenched through the schools, elections bring little change, and presidents can rule for life.

Albania deports Gülen follower at Turkey’s request despite court rejection of extradition

Albanian authorities on Wednesday deported Harun Çelik, a Turkish teacher at a school affiliated with the faith-based Gülen movement in Albania, to Turkey despite a court order releasing him from his five-month incarceration over an extradition request from Ankara.

Fethullah Gulen: I am not hiding and not on the run

Sherko Hama Amin, a member of the Kurdistan Parliament’s Education Committee, told NRT that schools should not be shut down over political reasons, especially a political issue outside the region. The Turkish government has previously, even before the July 15 military coup attempt, called on the KRG to close schools connected to the Gulen movement in the region.

Documents expose plot to hold Hizmet responsible for KPSS cheating

The Zaman daily has published documents which reveal that a plot was devised to unjustly hold the members of the Hizmet Movement responsible for a cheating scandal at the State Personnel Examination (KPSS) in 2010.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Kyrgyz President Atambayev: Sebat Turkish schools won’t be shut down

Opposition deputy: Police detain one more woman shortly after delivery

Bank Asya mandates Goldman for strategic partnership

Turkish Airlines discriminates against critical newspapers on planes

Turkey’s Reichstag Fire

Der Spiegel’s recent strange attack on the Hizmet (Gulen) Movement

Gülen’s book “Eternal Light” under spotlight at Pakistani fair

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor