Alleged Hizmet link in Hablemitoğlu murder a lie, says widow

Prof. Dr. Şengül Hablemitoğlu
Prof. Dr. Şengül Hablemitoğlu


Date posted: August 2, 2014

The wife of murdered academic Necip Hablemitoğlu has said a recent attempt to establish a connection between the assassination of her husband and the Hizmet movement is an effort to turn her against the movement.

Şengül Hablemitoğlu, the widow of Necip Hablemitoğlu, a professor of history known for his Kemalist stance and opposition to gold mining who was killed in 2002, spoke to the Vatan daily on Wednesday. She discussed veiled attempts by government-controlled media to suggest that the Hizmet movement is behind her husband’s murder. Some newspapers have claimed that she has made statements suggesting that the murder might be linked to Hizmet, a religiously inspired civil society movement in Turkey.

She told Vatan that she has never made any such allegations, and noted that the quotation attributed to her was taken out of context from an earlier statement. The real issue, she said, is that her husband’s murder has been awaiting a thorough investigation for 12 years.

Necip Hablemitoğlu was killed outside his Ankara home on Dec. 18, 2002. Ergenekon, a crime network that has links within the state and has attempted to topple the government, is suspected of having masterminded the murder. Ergenekon trial suspect Osman Yıldırım had claimed that Osman Gürbüz — another suspect — had carried out the murder after being contracted by Ergenekon suspects Veli Küçük and Muzaffer Tekin.

Durmuş Anuçin, another Ergenekon suspect who was tried for five counts of murder, has said he committed the murder in collaboration with İbrahim Çiftçi, who died in a bomb explosion in İzmir in 2006.

The Hablemitoğlu murder investigation ended without reaching a conclusion. Earlier this week, the Akşam daily reported that the Ankara Prosecutor’s Office is now reopening the case.

Government-controlled media have implied that Hizmet, a movement increasingly hated by the government since the exposure of alleged government corruption in December of last year, is behind the murder. Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has stated that the graft allegations against his inner circle are part of an attempt to overthrow the government and has accused a “parallel structure” — a term he uses to denote Hizmet — of being behind it.

Source: Today's Zaman , August 01, 2014


Related News

Erdoğan’s way: scare, divide and rule

The last straw [man] by Erdoğan came this week when a draft version of a law seeking the closure of all kinds of privately established prep schools (dershanes) leaked to the media. The bill is so drastic that even private tutoring for kids at homes by parents is banned. The intrusive move is seen as a huge blow to free enterprise and the right to education, prompting concerns that the closure of these schools will block upward mobility in Turkish society.

Turkey’s purges continue a year after failed coup

One year on, Turkey’s crackdown on suspected coup plotters shows no signs of ending – and has now reached human rights workers. Diego Cupolo reports from Ankara.

Prime Minister Erdogan’s Revenge

Mr. Erdogan has disparaged his political adversaries as traitors, terrorists and an alliance of evil. In his postelection speech, he repeatedly mentioned Pennsylvania and suggested the government would take aim at Mr. Gulen’s supporters, possibly with mass arrests.

Bank Asya answers smear campaign

Publicly traded Bank Asya roundly denied the ‘baseless rumors’ about its financial status via the Public Disclosure Platform (KAP). “There have been baseless smear and defamation campaign widely circulating in some press organizations and social media sites” read the statement. “Our bank will apply to the authorities to protect our legal rights in the face […]

Or is it Gülenophobia?

Turkey’s frequently changing agenda has recently been dominated by one issue: An İstanbul prosecutor overseeing an investigation into a Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK)-linked terrorist organization has asked the Ankara Prosecutor’s Office to hear the testimony of National Intelligence Organization (MİT) Undersecretary Hakan Fidan and has obtained arrest warrants for four other MİT agents. MERVE BÜŞRA […]

Refugees from Erdogan’s Turkey seek to make a new life in Germany

Murat spent six months in a Turkish prison, followed by a considerable time in hiding after his release. As soon as he could, he made good his escape to Germany. As a trained lawyer and legal adviser to an influential association, he had a good life in his home country, living with his family in an upmarket area.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Fetullah Gülen, the preferred enemy – Interview

Bank Asya says it weathers ‘stress test’, still strong

Afghan education minister recommends Turkish schools in each province

Albanian president to Erdoğan: Turkish schools pose no threat

Conference endorses Gülen’s ideas as guides for Nigerian education system

Pacific Dialogue Platform in Philippines was opened with Iftar

AK Party government removing critical voices from state bodies

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor