RTÜK fines Samanyolu for news about boy named after Gülen


Date posted: July 22, 2014

The Radio and Television Supreme Council (RTÜK) fined Samanyolu TV on Sunday for running a news story about a student named Fethullah Gülen who prepared for the Transition to Higher Education Examination (YGS) with the Hizmet-affiliated Körfez University Preparation School in İzmir.

RTÜK said broadcasting the name of a student along with the school’s name was a clear violation of its rules. In the RTÜK report, Samanyolu TV was accused of using following phrases: “Fethullah Gülen is not the only one who made us proud. Most of the top scorers are students who prepared for the exam in dershanes [prep schools]. Gülen was in Mecca [Saudi Arabia] when he learned about his success. Yamanlar High School is proud of Fethullah Gülen.”

Members of RTÜK have also responded to the fine. Ali Öztunç, one of the members, told the Bugün daily on Monday that those kinds of news pieces are broadcast every year. “This is the first time I have seen a TV station being fined because of news related to prep schools. I think this move has a political side.”

Gülen, who had the third-highest score in the Turkish/Math-1 and Turkish/Math-2 categories of this year’s YGS exam, was named after Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

This is not RTÜK’s first controversial decision regarding Samanyolu TV. Before the March 30 local elections, TV stations owned by Samanyolu Broadcasting Group were given suspension punishments for allegedly violating RTÜK rules. RTÜK has fined the group nearly TL 1.5 million for 55 administrative fines. Both Samanyolu TV and the Samanyolu Haber TV news station have been fined over alleged violations of broadcasting laws.

The fines have mostly come about since the Dec. 17 corruption operation, in which several businessmen close to Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and the sons of three ministers were detained over corruption allegations.

Source: Today's Zaman , July 21, 2014


Related News

Bosnians Protest at Student’s Arrest in Turkish Crackdown

Masetovic, a 21-year-old student at the University of Usak, was arrested last month in the western Turkish city, accused of being part of a network led by exiled cleric Fetullah Gulen. “At the time of the coup in Turkey, my son was at home in Bosnia and Herzegovina and had nothing to do with the events there,” his father Husein Masetovic was quoted as saying.

TUSKON summit highlights Turkish ‘FTA initiative’

Turkey is preparing to kick start negotiations to ink free trade agreements (FTAs) with a dozen countries, including Japan and Canada, Economy Minister Zafer Çağlayan told a global trade and investment summit held in İstanbul. The Turkey-World Trade Bridge summit, a seven-year-old event on its way to becoming an internationally recognized summit, opened its doors […]

Students from around the globe spread the idea of ‘Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam’

More than 400 students from 17 nations assembled in New Delhi on May 7 for the 14th International Festival of Language & Culture (IFLC 2016) which had the premise ‘Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam (The world is one family)’ to spread the message of global peace and cultural harmony.

Erdoğan rewards the killers of Gülenists

The rule of law and the independence of Turkey’s judiciary, in lower courts in particular, have been seriously compromised since the failed coup in July 2016.

Smear campaign against Gülen fails after new details emerge on eavesdropping

The defamation campaign against the Gülen or Hizmet movement, which the Turkish president and his political Islamist Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government accuse of illegally wiretapping government officials, collapsed after it became clear that foreign security and intelligence agencies were involved in eavesdropping on senior Turkish officials.

Civil war in Mali did not discourage the Turkish school teachers

Turkish teachers living only 100 miles away from the hot zone told Cihan News Agency that they never even thought about leaving the area. The Oter and Mutlu families are the only two Turkish families living in Segou, a town very close to the hot zone in Mali. Both families work at the Turkish school […]

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

PKK’s venomous mouthpiece targets US, Gülen

Tortured detainee would choose 50 years in prison over return to custody in Turkey

Şifa University rector says gov’t move to shut down hospitals won’t affect education

France sentences attacker targeting Gulenists as Turkey releases gunman in similar case

Nigerian education minister says Nigeria indebted to Turkish schools

AK Party provincial board member resigns after insults

Purge-victim mother of three dies of heart attack

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor