CHP asks gov’t about file allegedly targeting TUSKON


Date posted: May 24, 2014

ANKARA

Turkey’s main opposition party Republican People’s Party (CHP) submitted a parliamentary question to Interior Minister Efkan Ala on Friday asking if the government prepared and shared with some foreign countries a “secret file” which allegedly profiled members of a leading Turkish business confederation.
The CHP also asked Ala if the government excluded the terrorist group al-Qaeda from its list of dangerous organizations in the alleged file.Complaints over the past month from the Turkish Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists (TUSKON) over increased political pressure and profiling of its members have now been conveyed to Parliament, with the CHP demanding a governmental explanation on the issue.

Representatives from the Turkish business world have publicly mentioned increased government pressure and interventions following the Dec. 17 corruption probe. Government pressure allegations have also come from TUSKON, which has described the government profiling as “dangerous.” TUSKON is a large business group affiliated with Turkey’s largest volunteer-based Islamic group, the Hizmet movement. Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has alleged since December last year that Hizmet is working to undermine his political power, but he has provided no sound evidence to prove his claim so far.

Regarding the claims of pressure on businesses, CHP İstanbul deputy Sezgin Tanrıkulu asked Ala on Friday if his ministry had prepared secret files in which TUSKON members were profiled. Tanrıkulu also asked Ala if the minister’s office had shared these alleged documents with foreign officials. “Who are these foreign officials and who met them to share what kind of information?” the CHP deputy asked. Tanrıkulu also asked if Ala is preparing to travel abroad for three days in June and share the alleged file with more foreign government officials.

A few days after his appointment as interior minister in December, Ala told media that a bank close to Hizmet had stocked up on greenbacks from the market before the Dec. 17 operation and made a profit of $2 billion when the exchange rates later registered a spike. Central Bank of Turkey data showed no such profit was made and Ala declined to comment further.

Source: Todays Zaman , May 23, 2014


Related News

Bridge-building in ‘enemy country’ – Story of a Turkish asylum seeker in Greece

Erdogan’s aggressive policies, which have driven many Turks into exile, seem to have had an unintentional side-effect. “A bridge is being built between Turks and Greeks,” the English teacher says. “We’re learning to overcome prejudices and historical misunderstandings.”

What does religion have to do with corruption?

The ongoing graft investigation, which hit the press on Dec. 17 with a major police operation resulting in the arrest of 24 suspects — including prominent business figures and the sons of two ministers — sparked a public discussion on the links between politics and Islam, as a majority of the members of the ruling party present themselves as devout Muslims.

Gülen issues message of condolences for slain prosecutor Kiraz

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has offered his deep condolences to family of Prosecutor Mehmet Selim Kiraz, who was killed after a deadly hostage crisis on Tuesday.

At home and abroad, Erdogan shoots himself in the foot

On Wednesday, for instance, Erdoğan described members of the Hizmet movement, who are mostly inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, as an “opposing side” due to their opposition to the closure of prep schools. Erdoğan’s categorization sparked outrage, primarily because the movement has been known as staunch supporters of the government.

Lambsdorff: Turkish press intimidated, under pressure

A senior member of the European Parliament (EP), German Liberal Alexander Graf Lambsdorff, said the Turkish press is intimidated and under pressure, and also strongly criticized the new Internet law.

Police raids Şifa University hospitals in gov’t-led intimidation operation, report says

The police have conducted raids on nine hospitals of şifa University for the purpose of shutting down the hospitals on the orders of the İzmir Public Prosecutor’s Office in a government-led intimidation operation, the news portal haberturk.com reported on Friday.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Turkish intelligence staged a rocket attack on Erdoğan’s palace to rally public support

Doesn’t Obama know Gülen is in the US?

Once, it was democracy that brought Erdogan and Gülen together

Yet another conspiracy against the Gülen movement?

Columnist sees Gülen ‘conspiracy’ in ruling against Israel

The fall of democracy and predicament of political Islam in Turkey

Teacher tortured to death by Turkish police found innocent, reinstated to job

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor