Courts order corrections to gov’t media stories on Hizmet


Date posted: April 30, 2014

ANKARA
Several courts have ruled against untruthful stories published or broadcast by media institutions close to the government about the Hizmet movement, which Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has accused of trying to undermine his government, but most newspapers and stations have not published the corrections as they should according to the rulings.

Prime Minister Erdoğan has repeatedly labeled a massive corruption investigation into his government which became public on Dec. 17, 2013 as an attempt to overthrow his government. He has also accused the Hizmet movement — a social movement inspired by Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen — of being responsible for many conversations that have been recorded between government members and businessmen friendly with the government that have revealed bribery and corruption. Four ministers have had to resign following the graft investigation.

In support of the prime minister’s hostility towards Hizmet, many pro-government newspapers — some of which were bought by businessmen under specific orders from Erdoğan in return for contracts in tenders, if leaked tapes are true — have published untruthful stories about the movement and Gülen. Nurullah Albayrak, a lawyer for Gülen, has taken these stories to court and in each instance, the court has found the publisher guilty of libel. Court cases have so far been won against the newspapers Takvim, Sabah, Star and Yeni Akit and the television station A Haber.

Recently, in separate decisions concerning untruthful stories, the Ankara 13th, 14th and 18th Courts of Peace have found that hundreds of allegations made by the government media — such as Hizmet being behind illegal wiretapping operations — are baseless.

In one decision, for example, the court found that a story which includes the serious allegation that Fethullah Gülen has set up a base for editing voice recordings on a 55-acre land plot produces no evidence to support this claim. Similar stories, such as one that asserts that Gülen holds the titles to countless properties, were also unfounded, the courts have found.

The newspapers and the television station are now legally obliged to publish corrections to their stories.

Source: Todays Zaman , April 30, 2014


Related News

Turkish police detain al-Qaeda suspects

Turkish anti-terrorism police carried out raids in six cities on Tuesday, detaining at least five people with alleged links to al-Qaeda, including an employee of a prominent Islamic charity group that provides aid to Syria, media reports and officials said.

Romania Refuses to Extradite Journalist to Turkey

The Bucharest Appeal Court on Friday rejected a Turkish request to extradite a Turkish journalist, Kamil Demirkaya, known for his criticism of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s government.

US says Turkey favors Sunni Islam over other creeds

A US State Department report has claimed that the Turkish government is prejudiced in favor of its Sunni Islamic citizens and neglects the needs of members of the country’s other minority religions, in addition to frequently employing anti-Semitic rhetoric.

Illegal raid against Bank Asya spells disaster for Turkey, says TUSKON head

“The raid on Bank Asya is a violation of the right of proprietorship and a murders the entrepreneurial spirit,” noted the president of the Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists of Turkey (TUSKON), Rızanur Meral, in an interview with Bugün TV.

Gov’t steps up campaign against Hizmet via terrorism accusations

The government has intensified its campaign against the Hizmet movement, a civil society initiative inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen’s teachings promoting interfaith dialogue, peace and tolerance, by putting Gülen on a list of wanted terrorists despite the move lacking any legal basis.

How can a government allow damaging their very own successful educational system to please another country?

Highly regarded for their educational excellence, these schools are located world-wide and have over 20 years offered the very best of competitive standards. How can any government allow damaging their very own successful educational system due to internal political turmoil of another country even if brotherly to Pakistan?

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Fethullah Gülen’s Message of Condolences for Greece Wildfire Incident

Turkish Islam and Fethullah Gulen

Censored by theft: Man caught stealing copies of Zaman daily

White House denies remarks about Gülen attributed to Obama

Islamic scholar Gülen says Turkey’s graft scandal can’t be covered up

Turkey’s top Muslim leader abhors terrorism

Goods signed by Obama, Stallone auctioned at Turkish organization fundraiser

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor