TİB conspired to libel Hizmet, tampered with system logs


Date posted: April 23, 2014

ANKARA

An anonymous whistleblower from the Telecommunications Directorate (TİB), the agency responsible for carrying out legal wiretaps, sent an email to newspapers and TV stations on Tuesday claiming that there is a conspiracy to bring the Hizmet movement under suspicion of infiltrating the TİB.The email claimed that the agency tampered with its system logs to fabricate evidence that the “parallel state,” a term the government uses to describe the Hizmet movement, had listened in on around 2,000 people. The message said the electronic serial numbers (ESNs) of these people were entered into the system as per instructions from TİB head Cemalettin Çelik and then erased — all to make it look like the Hizmet movement had spied on Turkish citizens and then covered its tracks. The institution would then share the “recovered” numbers with newspapers.The person, who identified himself as an active employee of TİB, said he was going public with this information because he doesn’t want to be a part of a smear campaign that could endanger the lives of many innocent people who had served the institution.

“We have been working intensively day and night for more than three months. I assumed that I was at the service of my state and nation by being on this team. I love our prime minister [Recep Tayyip Erdoğan] a lot. I believe that a massive plot was organized against our country with the Dec. 17 [corruption investigation] and a great injustice was done to our prime minister. I accepted the assignments with the idea of preventing this huge conspiracy. But after realizing where the things we are doing here are heading, I understood that I was involved in a new conspiracy, as big as Dec. 17, and committing a grave sin to the detriment of the rights of others,” the anonymous whistleblower said in the email.

After Çelik was appointed to lead the TİB, an extensive purge followed in which scores of workers lost their jobs at the agency. As they were replaced, a special team was created, and Çelik vested its members with enormous authority, the email said. “But some people, who identified themselves as members of MİT [the National Intelligence Organization], started paying frequent visits to the institution. They were in particular frequenting rooms in the Information Systems Department, where wiretaps are performed, without a badge. After several weeks, these people began coming to our offices after the end of the normal shift; they even started attending special meetings we held. The engineers from MİT were given very wide access privileges, which not one member of the TİB staff had. Our entire aim was to uncover illegal wiretaps by the parallel structure against our prime minister and the Justice and Development Party [AK Party] at TİB. But we were unable to find anything about these wiretaps in the departments we searched, no matter how intensively we worked. Even the computers of the dismissed TİB department heads were sent to MİT, to no avail,” said the email.

Çelik summoned TİB workers a few days ago, the whistleblower said, to ask them to plant the ESNs on the agency’s computers in an effort to incriminate former TİB employees. According to the email, Çelik told the workers: “Friends, I know you have been working hard but we haven’t gotten anywhere. But be sure, and I know for sure, that these parallels did all kinds of dirty work against our prime minister. We are currently at war. Some things that are not acceptable in ordinary times are allowed during times of war. It is quite probable that they have already erased all the dirt on what they did. Then what are we going to do? You will enter this list that I will give you to this system as if they were the [ESN] numbers of those who were previously listened in on. But don’t store them directly. Make it look like they had been deleted before and we managed to find them.”

He said the personnel did exactly what they were told. Among the names on the list were high-ranking military officers as well as prominent journalists, judges and politicians. “When this information became public, all segments of society would curse the parallels, they said. Then I saw that we were actually playing a big game,” said the whistleblower. According to his email, the ESNs will be shared with the press and the public in a few days. Two inspectors from TİB — Y.Y. and O.B. — have been preparing to bring the “evidence” to prosecutors, pretending that they discovered the list in their investigation, the whistleblower added.

Source: Todays Zaman , April 23, 2014


Related News

Foreign journalists baffled by gov’t decision to shut down prep schools

SEVGİ AKARÇEŞME, İSTANBUL Representatives of foreign media outlets in İstanbul had a difficult time on Tuesday understanding the rationale behind the government’s decision to close private prep schools across Turkey. The Journalists’ and Writers Foundation’s (GYV) Medialog Platform’s 26th meeting of the “Covering Turkey” seminar series held in İstanbul on Tuesday addressed a highly debated […]

10-year-old girl dies in traffic accident while on way to visit to imprisoned father

10-year-old girl of an imprisoned man named Ali Osman Özcan died in a traffic accident while on her way to visit the father in an Elazig prison on Monday.

Visually impaired journalist sent to prison over Gülen links

Visually impaired Turkish journalist Cüneyt Arat was sent to prison late on Monday due to his alleged links to the Gülen movement. When Arat learned that a prison sentence approved by an upper court on Sunday, he turned himself in to the police later the same day.

Kyrgyz President Atambayev: Ankara should not threaten us with coup

If someone wants to help Kyrgyzstan, this help should be unconditional, the President of Kyrgyzstan Almazbek Atambayev said. “If you set some conditions; then, please, do not help us at all. We are not dictated anything… Do not tell us what we should do. We do not need such aid; then, take it away,” the president added.

First “Families Meeting” series concludes with a spectacular night

The first series of “Families Meeting” project, intended to bring together the members of diverse cultures, faiths and ethnicities and let them get to know each other, by Intercultural Dialogue Platform (KADIP) in cooperation with Foundation of Solidarity (DIDADER), came to an end with a final gathering at Syriac Catholic Church. Following the president of […]

Istanbul court blocks access to Gülen’s website

An Istanbul court has ruled to block access to the website of U.S.-based Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, accused by the Turkish government of “leading a terrorist organization.”

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Russia selects finalists for 12th Turkish Olympiad

What is behind the schools associated with Gülen?

Burma/Thailand: Deported Turkish Man at Risk

Once lauded as model, Turkey’s Africa initiative loses momentum

Diverse community enjoys feast at Turkic American Alliance iftar

Opposition deputy: Police detain one more woman shortly after delivery

French court punishes death threats, attacks against Gülen sympathizers

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor