Municipality illegally demolishes building in İstanbul


Date posted: April 19, 2014

 

ISTANBUL

Workers from the İstanbul Metropolitan Municipality have demolished a small, prefabricated shelter on land that belongs to the Hizmet-affiliated Mehtap Education Foundation, despite the lack of official permission to carry out the demolition.

The incident came amid mounting signs of a possible government crackdown on the faith-based Hizmet movement inspired by Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen after Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan vowed to root out the “parallel structure” from state institutions. Erdoğan lays the blame for the Dec. 17 corruption probe that implicated some of his close associates and his own family on Hizmet, a claim firmly rejected by the movement.

Accompanied by municipal police, a group of 50-60 workers — including laborers and engineers from the Boğaziçi Zoning Directorate of the İstanbul Metropolitan Municipality — visited the empty land where a prefabricated shelter had been installed for a guard and his family to safeguard the area.

“We will settle accounts with ‘parallellists,’ we will destroy their buildings,” the police said, according to witnesses and the guard. Without offering any legitimate explanation, municipal officials decided to demolish the shelter, and construction equipment was used to destroy it. Mehtap Education Foundation head Mustafa Başaran told Today’s Zaman that he had asked municipal police for an official document that approves the demolition.

“Instead of showing any official document approving the demolition, they just threatened me. They told me to refer my complaint to another authority, whichever I prefer,” said Başaran, who appeared stunned and bewildered by inexplicable behavior of the municipal officials from the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party).

“To demolish a building, there must be an official decision, and the foundation should have been informed by the authorities before they carried out the demolition, according to the procedure. This was not the case here,” Başaran said.

He said that the foundation would file a complaint against the municipal officials.

Source: Todays Zaman , April 18, 2014


Related News

13 recommendations to MGK secretary for inclusion in ‘Red Book’

The president pays attention to the current National Security Council (MGK). He is determined to declare Hizmet a terror organization. President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan is not interested in the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), Kobani, Syria, the approximately 3 million refugees and the murder of 40 people in violent protests. His only concern is Hizmet. Given that the MGK is designed to be a place to discuss personal concerns, I, as a citizen, would like to raise some points of recommendation for the MGK secretary-general for possible inclusion on the agenda of the council.

Turkey urges KRG to consider Gulen Movement a “Terrorist Organization”

The KRG Ministry of Education said it would abide by any decision made by the KRG Council of Ministers concerning the closure of the organization’s schools in the Kurdistan Region. Sherko Hama Amin, a member of the Kurdistan Parliament’s Education Committee, told NRT that schools should not be shut down over political reasons, especially a political issue outside the region.

Kimse Yok Mu extends hand to Syrian refugees

Around 100 volunteer families from the organization deliver aid boxes to the Syrian refugees every week. Syrian people who are in need of proper assistance expressed their gratitude with the aid assistance.

Pathology of ‘Islamicist’ Erdogan Regime

In his hatred to the Gulen movement and to wipe out this movement, one of the most progressive educational Islamic movements that Muslim world has witnessed, the Erdogan regime has reached out to all kinds of political Islamicists throughout the Muslim world.

Is Anybody Out There?

In Turkey today, relief organization Kimse Yokmu, affiliated with the Fethullah Gulen inspired Hizmet movement has become the target of repeated attacks by Turkey’s political neo-tyrants, the most prominent of whom is President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Guinea-Bissau minister pay visit to Turkish school

Alfredo Gómez, Guinea-Bissau Education Minister visited International Ufuk College, one of the Turkish schools in the country established by entrepreneurs affiliated with the Hizmet movement.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Atyrau student wins silver in Brazil research competition

The Role of The Gulen Movement in the Task of Eco-Justice

Academic says Gülen movement followers should be sent to rehabilitation camps

Kimse Yok Mu continues to help needy despite gov’t restrictions

Islamic scholar gave Buddhist point to ponder

Kimse Yok Mu extends helping hand to Kyrgyz orphans

Fethullah Gulen’s new book “The Struggle for Renewal” sold 200,000 in 20 days

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor