CHP applies to Constitutional Court for annulment of dershane law


Date posted: April 18, 2014

ISTANBUL

The main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) has filed an appeal with the Constitutional Court to annul a controversial law closing Turkey’s dershanes, or private preparatory schools.

Speaking to reporters during a press conference at Parliament on Friday, CHP deputy parliamentary group chairman Akif Hamzaçebi said his party has taken the dershane law, under which all dershanes across the country are to be closed down and about 40,000 school administrators reassigned, to the Constitutional Court.

Relating some of the details about the petition the party has filed, Hamzaçebi said the dershane law contravenes the constitution, adding: “What should be done is not to close down dershanes, but to adopt necessary educational reforms that will eliminate the need for such preparation courses in the Turkish education system. With this law, some educational personnel were removed from their posts as also happened after the HSYK [the Supreme Board of Judges and Prosecutors] law was passed. Public officials can only be removed from their posts or reassigned by way of administrative procedure. Furthermore, we also included a regulation under which inspectors affiliated with the Guidance and Inspection Department of the Education Ministry’s Board of Education and Discipline are to be removed from their posts, in the petition we filed today with the Constitutional Court.”

The government, in a surprise move, decided in November of last year to close down the exam prep schools, stirring a massive debate. These schools, with their affordable fees, are regarded by mostly middle or low-income families as an equalizer of educational opportunities. Although there has been a strong public reaction against the push to close these schools, the government insists on shutting them down. The bill, including amendments to Law No. 5580 on Private Educational Institutions, was introduced by the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government in October of last year and sent to the Parliament Speaker’s Office in February.

The AK Party government’s bill was put to a vote and passed by Parliament on March 7 in a session that 90 deputies from the ruling party did not attend, and signed into law by President Abdullah Gül on March 12.

According to the law, the president of the Board of Education and Discipline of the Ministry of Education and the board’s other members, the ministry’s deputy undersecretaries, general directors, the chiefs of the education branches and the provincial education directors of the 81 provinces will be removed from their posts. The law also states that school principals and vice principals who have spent four years or more in their posts will also be removed from their posts. Furthermore, the law also states that dershanes will be allowed to operate until Sept. 1, 2015. All preparatory courses will be shut down after this date.

Source: Todays Zaman , April 18, 2014


Related News

Gülen-linked journalists organization voices concern over profiling claims

The Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV), one of the most prominent institutions affiliated with Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, released a statement expressing its concerns over the government’s claimed profiling of citizens, civic groups and public employees. “It is worrisome to witness developments that echo the said “National Security Board decision, such as the plan to ban prep schools, the profiling of public employees or the purging of bureaucrats who are affiliated with certain communities,” the statement published on the institution’s website said.

Pakistani Govt deports abducted Turkish teacher and family despite UN protections

The abducted Turkish teacher Mesut Kacmaz and his family were reportedly deported by Pakistani government to Turkey on early Saturday. Lahore High Court had asked Interior Ministry to locate and release the family and not deport them until further notice.

Turkey confiscates $billions worth more than 200 companies in operations targeting Gülen

The government-run Savings Deposit Insurance Fund (TMSF) has taken over more than 200 companies as part of investigations into the Gülen movement in the recent past. Akın İpek, the CEO of Koza İpek Holding until the confiscation, said 18 of the group’s confiscated companies alone worth over $10 billion.

Minister says Pak-Turk schools won’t be closed down

Karachi—Sindh Education minister Jam Mehtab Dhahar has assured a Turkish team Tuesday that Pak-Turkish schools will not be closed down in Sindh or anywhere in Pakistan. They gave the assurance to the visiting Turkish team during meeting in Karachi, with the Turkish officials, here on a tour.

Prominent theologian says Turkey in crisis with international community

American Professor Philip Clayton has said President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s burning of bridges with the European Union after he received criticism from the bloc for detaining leading members of the media is a sign that Turkey is in crisis with the international community.

Turkish Olympiads built on legacy of linguistic, cultural interaction

MESUT ÇEVİKALP, İSTANBUL Some 1,000 students from 130 countries have come to Turkey to attend the Ninth International Turkish Olympics. Students from different cultures are bringing their poems, songs and folk dances to the Turkish language festival. This year’s Olympiads, themed after Yunus Emre’s famous call, “Come and let’s get acquainted,” are much more colorful. […]

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Gülen movement discussed at EP in light of recent political developments in Turkey

Lawyer: Female journalist traumatized by abuse, torture at Turkish police station

Turkey investigating 4,167 Gülen followers in 110 countries

The Turkey in Uganda

Cancer patient arrested over Gülen links deteriorates to stage 4 in one month

Erdoğan: both asset and liability for AKP

The cleric, the coup and the conspiracy

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor