TUSKON: Twitter ban a disappointment in information age


Date posted: March 24, 2014

Turkish Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists (TUSKON) Chairman Rıza Nur Meral voiced his disappointment on Friday over the decision by the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party), which tries to attract voters with promises of democracy, more human rights, increased rule of law and reforms to gain EU membership, to block access to Twitter.

Speaking during a meeting organized by the Federation of Anatolian Businessmen (ANFED) in Ankara, Meral said: “We are in an era of information technology. Those who own and share information have an advantage. Freedom of expression is also a precondition for countries for getting ahead. The ban on Twitter prevents developments to this end.”

Stressing that with the recent decision of the government Turkey has moved further toward becoming an authoritarian regime, Meral said that as businesspeople, TUSKON condemns the Twitter ban and urges that it should be removed as soon as possible. “It is impossible for Turkey to reach its economic targets by behaving in this manner,” Meral added.

Twitter was blocked late on Thursday, just hours after Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan vowed to “wipe out” the social media platform. Leading international condemnation, the White House described the Twitter ban as undermining democracy and free speech.

All those attempting to access Twitter in Turkey have instead been redirected to an Internet page detailing a court ruling that a “protection measure” has been taken, blocking the site. However, many have been able to get around the ban, either by using virtual private network (VPN) software or changing their domain name system (DNS) setting, effectively disguising their computers’ geographical whereabouts.

Speaking about Erdoğan’s remarks about the International Turkish Language Olympiad, when he said that the government will not provide venues for the Olympiad which is held in Turkey, Meral said: “On the one hand we have Fethullah Gülen saying that everybody has the right to speak and be educated in his or her mother tongue, while on the other hand there is opposition to the Turkish Olympiads which contribute to the status of Turkish as a world language and are held without receiving a penny from the state. I will leave it to people to judge for themselves the difference between these two perspectives.”

Gülen, an Islamic scholar who is the inspiration behind the Hizmet movement — a worldwide network of activists in education, charity and social outreach, has described the large-scale slander, pressure and oppression the movement faces as worse than anything seen during military coup periods in Turkey.

Tensions in politics frustrate foreign investors

Meral also pointed to rising tensions in Turkish politics and stressed that a tense political atmosphere frustrates foreign investors. “Laws have been changed overnight in Turkey. We have changed from a respectable country to one where laws are changed day by day. This makes investors pause for thought,” Meral said.

Discussing the corruption and bribery scandal, Meral said that no leader or political party can survive under such a heavy burden of corruption allegations. “Whatever you do, even if you ban Twitter, people will simply resort to ‘Nexter.’ One cannot cover this [corruption scandal] when communication systems are so developed. It [the Twitter ban] is simply delaying a foregone conclusion.”

On Dec. 17 of last year, İstanbul and Ankara police staged dawn raids and detained over 50 people as part of a far-reaching investigation into claims of corruption and bribery. Among the detainees were bureaucrats, well-known businesspeople and the sons of three ministers.

Stressing that according to one ranking of countries by economic freedom, Turkey is ranked 73rd, the TUSKON chairman strongly criticized the recently passed bill which shuts down prep schools (dershanes) — many of which are run by the Hizmet movement — on the grounds that the decision deals a blow to the right to free enterprise in Turkey.

The AK Party government’s bill banning the privately owned prep schools was put to a vote and passed by Parliament — in a session that 90 deputies from the ruling party did not attend — and signed into law by President Abdullah Gül in mid-March. The move highlights Gül’s solidarity with Erdoğan as the prime minister battles a corruption scandal he says has been orchestrated by Gülen, who is based in the US, and the Hizmet movement.

Source: Todays Zaman , March 23, 2014


Related News

The dominant assessment in NATO: Turkey’s President Erdoğan staged the coup himself

Senior NATO sources tell aldrimer.no that they believe Erdoğan staged the coup himself. However, they stress that there is no written NATO documentation for that claim, because it is simply too sensitive. That’s because all member nation’s have the right to access to all intelligence information gathered by the alliance.

The Commissioner for Political Affairs opened the 14th International Festival of Language and Culture

The International Festival was organized by the Nejashi Ethio-Turkish International Schools in collaboration with the Department of Political Affairs of the African Union Commission and the Government of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia.

Is man living in Pennsylvania responsible for Turkey coup attempt?

Low-flying military jets buzzed over Turkey’s capital of Ankara. Soldiers blocked major bridges in Istanbul. State-run television announced that the military had imposed martial law.

Archbishop Fitzgerald: Fethullah Gülen has inspired many Muslims to be engaged in interfaith dialogue

The English-born Archbishop Michael Louis Fitzgerald, one of the Catholic Church’s main experts on Islam and Christian-Muslim relations, has said that Fethullah Gülen has inspired many Muslims to engage in interfaith dialogue, and that this is a good thing.

Astonishing questions about the failed coup attempt in Turkey

Critics claim that this failed coup attempt was simply a pretext to legitimize arbitrary authoritarian practices, eliminate all the dissent while filling the state apparatus with staunch supporters, and start an ethnic cleansing against sympathizers of the Gulen movement and Alawites.

Prime Ministry asks president to purge ‘parallel state’ in his office

The Office of the Prime Minister has submitted a list of people who are allegedly members of the Hizmet movement to President Abdullah Gül, the Taraf daily claimed on Thursday, as part of widespread government attacks on the movement.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Historic ijma meeting in İstanbul

Kimse Yok Mu opens school in Afghanistan

Ex-AK Party deputy Özdalga: Gov’t wants to make judiciary subordinate to executive power

At home and abroad, Erdogan shoots himself in the foot

Turkish School Awarded ‘Ukraine’s Best School’

Hizmet schools win 64 out of 120 TÜBİTAK medals despite gov’t pressure

Witch-hunt-targeted mother dies in Kabul, family could not attend funeral in Turkey

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor