Turkey’s business world weary of gov’t pressure, says Kalkavan


Date posted: March 18, 2014

 

İSTANBUL

Representatives of Turkey’s business sector say they are “tired of” increased government pressure and interventions following the Dec. 17 corruption probe, prominent businessman İhsan Kalkavan told Today’s Zaman on Sunday.

Kalkavan is the owner of the Beşiktaş Maritime Group and former president of the Turkish soccer club Beşiktaş. “I have met a number of businesspeople from different sectors and political views since Dec. 17. … All of them say they are seriously concerned about how Turkey is heading towards increased authoritarianism,” Kalkavan said. The businessman added that the government’s way of dealing with the corruption allegations has been “incomprehensible,” and that he had difficulty explaining to his foreign associates about recent purges of hundreds of police officers and dozens of investigators. “I have concrete proof that most foreign investors in Turkey have been discouraged from embarking on new projects, seeing as how the government has been pressuring local firms.”

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan alleges that the Hizmet movement is working to undermine his political power, but he has provided no sound evidence to prove his claim. The Hizmet movement has so far dismissed all claims fabricated by the pro-government media and used by Erdoğan as “baseless.” Erdoğan has threatened to make companies critical of the government “pay for it.”

In an earlier interview, Kalkavan said the prime minister’s harsh language against Hizmet members saddened him as well as many other businessmen and citizens who are sympathetic toward the movement.

The Turkish Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists (TUSKON) and the Turkish Industrialists and Businessmen’s Association (TÜSİAD) have repeatedly warned that Turkey is at risk of losing foreign investments so long as the government continues to show a lack of respect for the rule of law and European Union legal codes.

Source: Todays Zaman , March 17, 2014


Related News

Malaysia Exposes Abductions By Erdoğan’s Long Arm In Asia

Turkey has adopted a new thuggish tactic in persecuting its critics and opponents abroad by orchestrating abductions, enforced disappearance and extrajudicial renditions in addition to profiling and harassment of Turkish expatriates by government institutions and clandestine groups, a report released by Stockholm Center for Freedom (SCF) has revealed.

Bias about Gulen Movement in light of The Economist column

The Kemalist viewpoint in Turkey perceives the Gulen movement as a menace that had served as an instrument of President Tayyip Erdogan’s quest for power. This outlook suggests that if it weren’t for Gulenists’ aid, Erdogan would have faded out a long time ago. Recently, The Economist published an article that exhibits the same bias.

Gülen’s attorney: Media speculation about extradition not true

The lawyer of Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen said in a statement on Monday that the speculation in the media regarding the extradition of his client is far from the truth and that the extradition request itself is unlawful.

Scholarly views in the aftermath of the coup attempt: A responsible government would rather support the Hizmet Movement

When the Hizmet Movement or Hocaefendi are mentioned specifically by governmentally influenced press in Turkey, it harms Turkey. Yes, it harms Hocaefendi, but not nearly as much as it harms Turkey. Turkey is hurting itself today when it limits political discussion, when it maligns its political adversaries, when it uses political tools and economic tools to harm social services and educational institutions in Turkey.

Turkish Intelligence Agency (MIT) at center of political storm

Indeed, the MIT’s tarnished reputation can be viewed as collateral damage from the AKP’s wars with former allies (the Gulen movement) or an unintended consequence of the government’s haphazard propaganda since Gezi. The agency is seen as the nexus of the initial friction between the Gulen movement and the AKP.

Intel chief first gives anti-Hizmet file to Obama, then visits Gülen, STV president Karaca says

Turkey’s National Intelligence Organization (MİT) Undersecretary Hakan Fidan gave a file containing a plan to finish off the Hizmet movement inspired by Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen to US President Barack Obama and then the MİT head visited Gülen at his home in Pennsylvania, Samanyolu Media Group Chief Hidayet Karaca stated on Tuesday.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Unproven speculations and legitimate questions

Jailed teacher dies of cancer in Turkish prison

Animation – Story of Turkish teacher Gokhan Acikkollu, tortured to death under police custody

Turkish NGO Kimse Yok Mu handed over 296 houses for flood affectees

To escape punishment, punish them all

Kimse Yok Mu aid cheers up Albanian community in Petrella

Lawyer: Female journalist traumatized by abuse, torture at Turkish police station

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor