Turkish authorities issue warning to Samanyolu TV for ‘biased’ broadcasts


Date posted: March 3, 2014

 İSTANBUL

The Radio and Television Supreme Council (RTÜK) has issued a warning over news program “Derin Bakış” (Deep Glance), which is broadcast on Samanyolu News TV, on the grounds that the program is “biased,” only a week after it penalized Bugün TV for the same reason.

As part of the government’s efforts to derail a graft probe that has rocked the government, media outlets that have been publishing and broadcasting reports about corruption in the government are being penalized by state authorities on various grounds.

RTÜK’s recent warning was met with a harsh reaction from Metin Yıkar, news editor of the Samanyolu Haber news channel, who said the recent warning against Samanyolu News TV and the penalty imposed on Bugün TV show how a regulation that was adopted with the intention of ensuring equality of opportunity between political parties during election periods is being manipulated by pro-government circles.

Yıkar said: “There is currently a general perception that those who broadcast in a way that is not approved by the government are being punished. They [RTÜK] don’t say, ‘You are lying’ or ‘You are being slanderous,’ when they impose those punishments. We as Samanyolu News TV only broadcast what the allegations are, and we are trying to fulfill the requirements of our profession with a sense of responsibility. There is no other thing Samanyolu News TV is doing.”

Stating that the RTÜK penalties are heavy, Yıkar said there are some TV channels that are always broadcasting biased programs, adding: “Those channels are broadcasting lies and baseless slander during their programs. RTÜK is doing nothing against those TV channels, but it issues a serious warning against Samanyolu News TV, which is known for its fair broadcasting.”

The Supreme Election Board (YSK) last week asked RTÜK to impose a one week suspension of broadcasting for news program “Gündem Özel” (Special Agenda), which is shown on Thursday evenings on Bugün TV, on the grounds that the program was “biased,” and a documentary on Turkish birds will be broadcast in its place.

The YSK decided on a one-week broadcast suspension for the program due to biased broadcasting, which came after a previous warning on the same issue to the television channel.

According to Tarık Toros, the host of the program, the YSK’s penalty — upon the suggestion of the RTÜK — is an act of intimidation against media outlets that are bringing the corruption issue before the public.

Source: Todays Zaman , March 2, 2014


Related News

Under arrest for months, 62-year-old teacher dies of cancer in prison

Arrested for raising donations on behalf of a Gülen movement-linked charity, 62-year-old religion and ethics teacher Hüseyin Pembe passed away after his battle with cancer in prison on June 1.

Turkey’s Internet watchdog blocks access to website broadcasting Gülen’s speeches

Turkey’s state-controlled Internet watchdog, the Telecommunications Directorate (TİB), has blocked access to herkul.org, a website that regularly broadcasts speeches by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

In Blow to Erdogan, Turkish Court Halts Closing of Schools Tied to His Rival

In a blow to the government, Turkey’s highest court has overturned a law that would have closed thousands of preparatory schools linked to an influential Muslim cleric and rival of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Turkey’s spying imams also active in Norway: monitoring group

Norwegian Islamist religious organizations that are affiliated with the Turkish government and its Religious Affairs Directorate (Diyanet) are reportedly involved in unlawful profiling activities of unsuspecting people of Turkish origin across Norway.

Turkey’s Brain Drain and the Disappearing Academic Freedom

Hasan was the luckiest because he was not in Turkey during the coup. He was studying abroad on July 15th and learned the coup through the Internet. He was supposed to go back to Turkey but he decided not to do so because of the news on the immense purging in mostly the government and some private institutions. Few days after the coup he learned that he was dismissed from his position at a state university.

Gülen says he would free all coup convicts if he had the means

In a statement published on herkul.org, a website that broadcasts his speeches, Gülen said he was deeply saddened to see “those elderly men” standing trial in these cases, adding that he would favor their release if he was able to. “If I had the means at my disposal, I would tell them, ‘You are all free.’ How? Just like the Prophet said to all on the day of the Conquest of Mecca: ‘Go! You are all free today’.”

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Turkish authorities unlawfully arrest woman with twin babies over alleged Gülen links

Mueller Probes Flynn’s Role in Alleged Plan to Deliver Gulen to Turkey

Tunisia was able to make constitution because of concessions of all parties

GYV to deliver awards to peace projects

Islamic scholar Gülen’s family criticizes PM’s offensive language

Gov’t targets Hizmet to distract attention from corruption, says director

Fethullah Gülen Reiterates No Involvement In Turkey’s Controversial Coup Attempt

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor