Police pressure businessmen who sued Erdoğan over Hizmet remarks


Date posted: February 16, 2014

ANKARA

According to a report by the Zaman daily, one of the businessmen who sued Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan in January because of insults he made about the Hizmet movement, has been under pressure from the police since he made the complaint.

 

On one day, police paid a visit both to the residence and workplace of the businessman, who requested to remain anonymous, even though there had not been any violation of law on his part. Asking arbitrary questions at the businessman’s residence, such as, “Why did you sue the prime minister?”, “What does your husband [the businessman] do?”, “Do you own the house or is it rental?” and “Do you have a car?”, the police asked for the mobile phone number of the businessman and left. The policeman said that they came from the Tepebaşı Police Station in Ankara.

Around the same time as the visits to his house, a number of other police officers went to the businessman’s workplace and checked the insurance policies of the employees and the hygiene standards, even though they were not authorized to do so.

Calling the businessman on his cell phone later on, a police officer asked him the same questions and asked him to go to the police station. However, when the businessman answered with the same information he had provided in his original petition, the police officer said that he would not need to go to the station.

Stating that nobody would find any wrongdoing in his life no matter how much they searched, the businessman said that he is a law-abiding citizen. He said that is one of the reasons he could not digest the “hashashin” remark made by the prime minister in reference to members of the Hizmet movement.

In January, 22 Ankara businessmen filed a lawsuit against Erdoğan for his remarks likening followers of the Hizmet movement to a historic group of assassins, claiming that he insulted their character.

Source: Todays Zaman , February 16, 2014


Related News

Hundreds of thousands homeless as Turkey’s southeast lay in ruins

When the residents of Sirnak returned to the city last month after Turkish authorities lifted eight-month curfew during intense urban fighting between the Turkish security forces and Kurdish insurgents, they were shocked with what they saw: there was no home where they left.

Watson points to new authoritarianism in Turkish gov’t’s relations

“A new authoritarianism can be seen in the government’s relations with business and the media, and towards protests,” the British member of the European Parliament (MEP) and leader of the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe party said in his letter.

Turkish schools abroad victims of AKP-Gulen conflict

The fate of the Gulen movement’s schools — located in over 160 countries — is being debated following Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s declaration of war in the wake of the Dec. 17 graft probe that targeted individuals associated with his government.

RTÜK suspends 20 SHaber TV shows, harshest penalty of all times

Radio and Television Supreme Council (RTÜK) has suspended 20 TV shows of the Samanyolu Haber TV news channel, its Editor in Chief Metin Yıkar announced via his Twitter account on Saturday. The RTÜK penalty came days after Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan vowed to finish off the Hizmet Movement and its affiliates, including the Samanyolu Haber TV.

Kimse Yok Mu first to respond to call for Crimea

Crimea Foundation’s board member and Crimean Turks Culture and Solidarity Foundation’s director in Seydisehir, Konya, Mustafa Sarikamis said they are to provide food aid to one thousand families following the talks with Kimse Yok Mu Foundation official.

New York Times urges Obama not to deport Gulen

In an editorial titled ‘Let Mr. Erdogan Fight His Own Battles’ published on May 2, the New York Times said ‘The American government is obliged to examine the request if Mr. Erdogan follows through and formally files one. But right now the threat seems to be nothing more than a crass and cynical attempt to exploit the law, and Turkey’s alliance with the United States, for political payback.’

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Hizmet rejects claims it is linked to graft probe, says democracy is antidote to chaos

NBA player and Erdoğan-critic Enes Kanter’s father arrest in Turkey

Turkey’s Armenian Community: We are ready to be cultural bridge between people of Turkey, US

Overshadowing the graft probe

Prosecutor says he was blocked from investigating new graft probe

Investigation into journalist over MGK, MİT revelations blow to free press

Turkish court orders 81-year-old man to stay behind bars on coup charges

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor